Broken softshell egg in vent?!

BossyBantam

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 3, 2016
Northern California
Hello! one of our new five month old hens seems to have broken a soft-shell egg inside her. I pulled out what was sticking out of her vent and I’m not sure if it was a complete egg. It looks like an egg membrane, but it was long and slightly tapered.Maybe it was an incomplete egg?? There has been no yolk or shell, but she did poop out a little white. I have her sitting in an epsom salt bath right now. I would love any and all suggestions on what else I should do!

Some more/extra notes
  • She started laying 4 weeks ago today
  • She doesn’t seem to be in pain

Do you have a calcium supplement on hand? Calcium citrate is what I use. It's people calcium. Give your budding layer one tablet. If all you have is Tums, give her one of those.

This will stimulate contractions and if there's any egg material left, it will help her expel it. This is crucial as any yolk left inside can start to harbor bacteria and soon there will be a raging infection.

Sometimes, there's a second egg right behind the first one. The calcium will help to push that out, as well.

Continue the calcium, one tablet a day until she's back to normal and laying one egg a day with a good shell.

Back
Top Bottom