Broken spur… infected or bruised?

kaydeetee86

Songster
Jul 12, 2020
Kansas
My Ayam Cemani rooster, Beta, has a long-standing vendetta against the feed bucket. A few days ago, he decided that he needed to try and show it who the boss is again. He kicked it hard and at just the right angle, and he broke off one of his spurs.

He was dripping blood, so I rushed him inside. I got the bleeding to stop, cleaned it up, and bandaged it with gauze and antibiotic ointment.

I missed a day changing the bandage, which I’m so mad at myself about. When I removed it, there was a tiny bit of blood and discharge. I cleaned it up with hydrogen peroxide and Hibiclens, applied Silvadene, and bandaged it with antibacterial gauze and vet wrap.

This is today. The bandage was clean when I took it off. His spur looks green-tinged to me, but my wife doesn’t see it. It’s hard to tell because he’s so dark. I soaked/washed his feet again when I took the bandage off. The clot came off and it bled a little bit.

… now what? Does it look infected, or just bruised? I’m not sure if I’m going to able to take him to the vet. Only one vet at one clinic will see chickens, and it’s hit and miss when they’re there.

I have Liquamycin, but I never want to use antibiotics if my birds don’t need them.

Do I bandage it again? I don’t want bacteria getting in, but I also don’t want to keep it in if the wound needs to breathe instead. I also have a bully who especially enjoys pecking everybody’s feet.

Photos attached. They’re the best ones I could get.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

• IMG_5269.jpeg
    IMG_5269.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5266.jpeg
    IMG_5266.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5265.jpeg