HELP! Dog attacked my chicken! Will my chicken survive? What should I do?

chiicken

Hatching
Mar 1, 2024
First time chicken owner here.

A dog attacked my chicken 2 days ago. The dog is up to date on his rabies vaccination. I tried to clean the area up immediately and unfortunately had to cut some of her feathers to prevent the feathers getting into the wound. She had minimal bleeding and stopped bleeding within a few minutes from the attack. I cleaned the area with water and hibiclens, then applying some bacitracin and then spraying with Vetericyn Plus Poultry Care Spray daily since the incident. She does eat and drink water daily. However, she is limping on her left leg, but otherwise herself. She mainly stays inside her coop resting. 2 days post the attack, her skin started to turn green, should I be concerned? or is this bruising?

Should I bandage the wound with some gauze, telfa, and coband? or should I let the wound heal on its own?

Also, at this time I am not able to have the chicken see a vet for any antibiotics.

Any tips or guidance would be very appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9332.jpeg
    IMG_9332.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 55
:welcome

So sorry about your poor girl! When was the attack? Is this picture of her today? Do you have her separated from the rest of your flock?

You did well by trimming the feathers away. The green is bruising and is normal. What did you use to clean her wound? For the first cleaning, Hydrogen Peroxide is fine. After that, clean her wound 2-3 times a day with a Saline rinse or another gentle rinse.

I would put ointment on her wound. (Neosporin will be good if you have some.) I would allow her wound to stay open to the air, but make sure she's not around where she'll get pecked or anything.

Her eating and drinking is very good. Are you able to get her some electrolytes? I would put some in her water. Feeding her some scrambled eggs and rice is something you can offer her as a treat.

It sounds like you've taken all the right steps initially BUT, I would cover the wound with a large Telfa pad, and some vet wrap around the body, under the wing, to hold the Telfa pad in place. The pad will help keep the bacitracin on the wound better, keep it moist so it doesn't dry out, will stop the chicken from pecking the wound, and will help prevent some dirt from getting into the wound. At this point, the bacitracin applied generously, and a fresh bandage daily, should be fine. Just keep a check for infection. The skin will regranulate over time. Be patient, it takes time, but the skin will grow back just fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom