Broken wing, shoulder joint. Amputate?

Jul 24, 2019
Boerne TX
Greetings all,

One of my young pullets was either stepped on or (more likely) attacked by a dog. If they wander into the fenced dog run they're fair game so I expect this is dog inflicted. Anyway, the break seems to be on the upper humerus/shoulder joint-not sure if there's a particular name for this other than just shoulder. The whole wing is stiff, limp, and useless. She cannot move it. It is swollen at this joint, but there is no bone exposed. I am attaching a video for more clarity, but its hard to show in its entirety because of her feathers. My question:
Would it even be possible to amputate this wing considering its so far up her wing? I am ok to cull her or amputate it, but I do not want to go through amputation if its unlikely to work. If its doable and she has a fair chance to live I am up for trying it out. If I go the amputation route, is there any topical anesthetic you all recommend? I have considered a horse grade Icy-Hot type product but if there's something better please let me know. For healing, are there any painkillers she can have? Tylenol?

thanks,

VIDEO:

Also, usually they know to stay out of the dog run if the dogs are out lol. The dogs are basically 100% trustworthy around chickens when they're loose and I'm around, this is a pretty freak occurrence

Why don't you give her a week. She's quite bruised.
They often hold wings down like that when injured, swollen and bruised, once those symptoms start to improve, so does mobility.

If you feel the wing must be amputated, seek Vet Care.

Back
Top Bottom