Bronze Tom x RP Hen Offspring Bred = ???

am040608

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2015
FINLEY WA
I had a bronze Tom, and bred to my Royal Palm hen. The offspring look like mostly bronze/narragansett appearance. This year, we bred the offspring. Most of The offspring still looked like the parents at hatch, however we hatched 4 white poults. 2 look sweetgrass-ish, 2 are white and peach. It appears I have a pair of both.
I really have a difficult time understanding turkey genetics, and I've attempted to use the genetic calculator on Tom's heritage turkeys, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Can anyone help me figure out what these colors are?? I found it interesting that of the four white ones there are two distinctly different colors and both pair of the two colors are nearly identical. Is this just random luck?

Here are photos of them

Attachments

• 20200821_111549.jpg
    20200821_111549.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200821_111606.jpg
    20200821_111606.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200821_111601.jpg
    20200821_111601.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200821_111526.jpg
    20200821_111526.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 19
I had a bronze Tom, and bred to my Royal Palm hen. The offspring look like mostly bronze/narragansett appearance. This year, we bred the offspring. Most of The offspring still looked like the parents at hatch, however we hatched 4 white poults. 2 look sweetgrass-ish, 2 are white and peach. It appears I have a pair of both.
I really have a difficult time understanding turkey genetics, and I've attempted to use the genetic calculator on Tom's heritage turkeys, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Can anyone help me figure out what these colors are?? I found it interesting that of the four white ones there are two distinctly different colors and both pair of the two colors are nearly identical. Is this just random luck?
If your Bronze tom was not carrying any hidden recessive color genes, your first generation were Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray. The hens are (bb1 Ccg dd E- N- RR SlSl SpSp PnPn) and the toms are (bb1 Ccg dd E- Nn RR SlSl SpSp PnPn) .

The possible results from breeding the offspring to each other are:

Black Winged Bronze - both male and female
Black Winged Narragansett - female
Black Winged Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray - female
Bronze - both male and female
Bronze Gray - both male and female
Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray - both male and female
Cornish Palm - both male and female
Dark Gray - female
Narragansett - female
Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray - female
Royal Palm - female
Sweetgrass - both male and female

Any male Sweetgrass could potentially be carrying a hidden Narragansett gene.

If the original Bronze tom was carrying hidden recessive color genes, it would throw the calculators results off.

I assume that you meant that you tried to use the Turkey Color Calculator from Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. I have never heard of Tom's Heritage Turkeys.

Yes! Haha I clearly was out of sorts when I wrote this original post. My shoulder had been dislocated so I've been in some pain. I attempted to take down this post, and start over, since I put some misinformation in my medicated state.
I since discovered I cannot remove or edit it :/
I do however appreciate your reply very much.
Unfortunately, the Tom was a Bourbon Red x Royal Palm. Not a bronze. I guess it may just remain a mystery.

If your Bronze tom was not carrying any hidden recessive color genes, your first generation were Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray. The hens are (bb1 Ccg dd E- N- RR SlSl SpSp PnPn) and the toms are (bb1 Ccg dd E- Nn RR SlSl SpSp PnPn) .

The possible results from breeding the offspring to each other are:

Black Winged Bronze - both male and female
Black Winged Narragansett - female
Black Winged Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray - female
Bronze - both male and female
Bronze Gray - both male and female
Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray - both male and female
Cornish Palm - both male and female
Dark Gray - female
Narragansett - female
Narragansett Semi-Color Semi-Gray - female
Royal Palm - female
Sweetgrass - both male and female

Any male Sweetgrass could potentially be carrying a hidden Narragansett gene.

If the original Bronze tom was carrying hidden recessive color genes, it would throw the calculators results off.

I assume that you meant that you tried to use the Turkey Color Calculator from Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. I have never heard of Tom's Heritage Turkeys.

Unfortunately, the Tom was a Bourbon Red x Royal Palm. Not a bronze. I guess it may just remain a mystery.
The tom was a Red Bronze (bb1 Ccg dd EE Nn Rr SlSl SpSp PnPn). Crossing him back to a Royal Palm hen created lots of possibilities. It also explains why your light colored hen. I would guess that she has at least one red gene (r) and at least one and possibly 2 gray genes (cg).

Back
Top Bottom