brooder at nite ideas please

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
I have my little chicken brooder in my room but the lite keeps me awake any thoughts/ideas on what I can do to keep the babies warm but the room dark?I guess I am not very creative.

Quote:
Yep, that's what we use. We're using 85 watt floodlight bulbs.

You can see the glow that red bulbs give in the pix...

Outdoor...

47b8da35b3127ccea836846c861b00000016100FYtm7ho2Y-

Indoor brooder...

47b8da35b3127ccea8369401074e00000016100FYtm7ho2Y-

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Edited to add second pic...

Last edited:
The ceramics were pretty disappointing with regard to heat for me. I may have had the wattage wrong though. I really like the red lamp, it's much softer. There may be another option for you, if you don't want to use the "red" there are higher watt "natural light" bulbs at home improvement stores. Now I'm not entirely sure they will give off enough heat, but I have used one for years for reading because bright light hurts my eyes. It is a very "soft" light. Or you could build a temporary wall between the brooder and where you are sleeping so the light doesn't bother you.

Quote:
Can you slide something in front of the brooder, while leaving room to get into it, to soften the amount of light you see? Like a room divider, dresser or something like that...

Refridgerator box?! See if you can get one from a place that sells appliances, put the entire brooder inside, with little holes for electric cords to do through, and a flap door on the side/top where you put your hand in the brooder. Then use a towel or sheet to cover the flap door a night, to keep the light from shining through the cracks at the edge. ?

Is there any way you can put them in another room at night? Or maybe in your closet and close the door? We had ours in the kitchen and dining room and I could still see the light but with the red heat lamps, it didn't bother me much.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom