Brooder box Ideas

mbelim

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 11, 2014
East London, South Africa

Good day All, I have here a shelf I would like to convert into a multi layered brooder.
I haven't done one before and I would like some ideas please. How do I go about doing it and what materials are needed.
also advice on heating lamp positioning etc.
also if you can advice on the type of heating lamp I should use.

The dimensions of shelf is as follows.
Height between shelves : 23cm
width: 50cm
length: 1.5m

How many chicks would I be able to fit per shelf per above dimensions?

Last edited:
i did something like this with a workbench in my garage. I made a simple wood frame and covered it w/ wire mesh, covered the sides of the shelf w/ wire mesh. I put cleats at the bottom so the wood frame could rest there, then put a screw on the shelf and a short nylon tie wrap to loop over the screw to keep it shut. To open, simply move the nylon tie loop off the screw and lift the frame from the cleats. It was easy to scoop bedding out into a basket for cleaning. I had 3 chicks in a space 40 inches long by 28 inches wide by about 24 inches high. This worked for quite a while because I moved them outside to a holding pen during the day. In the holding pen I had a stick up on bricks for a roost. The holding pen was simply a wire mesh covered wood frame, 6 panels worth, that I could set up anywhere and secure the edges w/ nylon ties and use one panel for a lid. The panels were 4 feet by 8 feet, so I had a pen 8 ft by 8 ft . For a heat lamp, I had a shop light, the kind w/ it;s own stand, propped just outside the brooder. Inside the garage there was no bad weather or wind, so the lamp kept them plenty warm.

i did something like this with a workbench in my garage.  I made a simple wood frame and covered it w/ wire mesh, covered the sides of the shelf w/ wire mesh.  I put cleats at the bottom so the wood frame could rest there, then put a screw on the shelf and a short nylon tie wrap to loop over the screw to keep it shut.  To open, simply move the nylon tie loop off the screw and lift the frame from the cleats.  It was easy to scoop bedding out into a basket for cleaning.  I had 3 chicks in a space 40 inches long by 28 inches wide by about 24 inches high.  This worked for quite a while because I moved them outside to a holding pen during the day.  In the holding pen I had a stick up on bricks for a roost.  The holding pen was simply a wire mesh covered wood frame, 6 panels worth, that I could set up anywhere and secure the edges w/ nylon ties and use one panel for a lid.  The panels were 4 feet by 8 feet, so I had a pen 8 ft by 8 ft .  For a heat lamp, I had a shop light, the kind w/ it;s own stand, propped just outside the brooder.  Inside  the garage there was no bad weather or wind, so the lamp kept them plenty warm.

Hi thanks for the information. Very useful. I will see to post a pic once I'm done.

I would like to know however, how far away should lamp be above chicks? I'm afraid that on my shelf there's not much clearance from the top to bottom. Can bulb be placed on side??
please advice

I put mine on the outside shining in. But, this is alabama in the spring and we didn't need a whole lot of warming, garage stayed pretty warm as it was.

Back
Top Bottom