Brooder box question... solution... pics :)

mmaddie's mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Elmwood, Illinois, USA
I have an old brooder box that I have had for years, but because my broodies have been so good, I haven't used it in probably 10-12 years.

It is made of tin(?) and is solid tin enclosing one end (1/3 of box) and the sides and other end are fine hardware cloth (2/3 of box) and a solid tin lid... about 2 ft.x3 ft. There is a small red light in the enclosed end and there is another light socket in the open (hardware cloth) end. Here's the question... What kind of bulb do I put in the open end socket? Red bulb? Regular light bulb? What wattage?

2nd question... what should I line the bottom with?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Bulb= Red heat lamp bulb is what we use. if it gets too warm you could switch it though.
Bottom lining = maybe newspaper at first so they dont eat shavings
tongue.png
and then just after a couple days you could put down shavings.
Wow! You must have some amazing broodies!

How tall is the brooder? If it's not very tall a red heat lamp will make it HOT. Also, do not use newspaper unless it's shredded. Slick newspaper can cause splayed legs. I've always used wood shavings.

pics... not great... from cell phone... better than nothing...

brooder, lid on

59359_brooder1.jpg

lid off

59359_brooder3.jpg

little red bulb under enclosed area

59359_brooder2.jpg

Hope this gives you a better idea about what I am talking about.

The breeder I bought some of my chicks from used something like that but on a larger scale. The advantage of the light being down one end is that the chicks can move away from it pretty easily if it is too hot. It will be closer to the chicks than in most brooders so you probably won't need as strong a bulb. I don't know if I can add anything else useful.

Quote:
Thanks for the input... I have a 40 watt clear small (appliance size) bulb in the center socket and the tiny red bulb in the covered area... I also have extra little red bulbs that I could put in the center socket? I guess I'll experiment?

Back
Top Bottom