Brooder Heating Conundrum

I made @aart ’s version of the mama hen heating pad where it is shaped more like a heat plate and it worked amazingly well. I did have to hers the chicks under it a couple times before they caught on that it was the warm place, but then they LOVED it. You can tell you have the temps right by their chirps. Quiet little peeps and twitters are happy chicks. Car alarm type peeping is a chick who has a problem - very likely too hot or cold.

I used a 9x9 sunbeam heating pad (NO auto shutoff) on top of the wire rack from my old toaster over. I attached legs I stole from a cookie cooling rack. That was PLENTY big enough for the 3 chicks I had at the time - would likely work for 6. Don’t put it in the corner of the enclosure, since you always want them to be able to easily leave so they don’t over heat AND you don’t want one to get smothered up against the corner.

I am happy to share more details if you like?

My other main tips for first timers is that the rubbermaid tote will not last you long, but is fun for that first week since you can have them in the room with you while you watch tv or whatever. But have a bigger setup ready!

Also, I found that mixing water with the chick crumble food so it is similar to applesauce really seemed to help them stay hydrated and they didn’t spread it around the cage as much. Oh and add pebbles to their water or use nipple waterers so they don’t drown. (Baby chicks are basically LOOKING for ways to die that first week or so.)

I would suggest an old appliance box if you can find one. A kiddie pool is too short and they start jumping sooner than you think. Heating method is up to you. I have always used a heat lamp and put a dog kennel door or baby gate over the box so chicks can't jump into it and I secure it with extra caribiners to prevent accidents. I also have an integration coop I move them into as soon as possible and a little box they can crawl into if necessary to huddle. Heat lamps are controversial but they work when used properly and chicks are given enough space to escape the heat if necessary. I saw a post from a hatchery once that said the ceramic plates aren't hot enough for shipped chicks but I have never bought chicks that way so I don't have experience. Since I discovered broody hens I haven't brooded with a heat lamp and found it a lot easier. You don't have that option now but in the future its worth considering

If you're still open to brooding in the house, I think a 2-door wire dog crate is ideal. I used to brood in the bathtub for about a week (especially chicks arriving directly in the mail to my post office). I got a 1-door, 4 ft x 2.5 ft crate---perfect size, but I had to crawl into it to get the birds out! You can put the light on top. I hang the lamps from multiple carabeeners. I'm experimenting because a new batch of chicks is coming in a couple weeks and I'm in a new house (to me). I discovered with my room being 67 degrees, 3 carabeeners keeps one lamp about 18 inches above the bedding, and a second lamp with 2 carabeeners add up to give me a 105 degree temp for an hour. After that, turn off the lamp with the 2 carabeeners to maintain 95 degrees.

I like the carabeeners because they keep the lamp secure and allow me to adjust it in 3 inch increments, which amount to about 5 degrees..

I have 2 of the Aqua culture red heat bulb reptile incandescent lighting, 75 watt. I also have a 100 watt black bulb and a 50 watt black bulb.

Last spring I used a 75 watt (see above) 24/7 for the 4 weeks till I moved them outside (then a 250 watt bulb in their pen, much further away from the birds). and Also inside, I used the 100 watt bulb overnight to keep the temps good, since I had them in a laundry room that had bigger temperature swings than the house.

Whatever you go with, I suggest some "dry runs" to make sure you can keep a decent temperature on them, especially if you go with bulbs. I had quite a nasty surprise doing my "dry run" with a 250 watt bulb in the laundry room, I really would have cooked the baby chicks!

or use nipple waterers so they don’t drown.

Baby chicks aren't strong enough for horizontal nipples so it's necessary to use vertical nipples -- at least so I'm told.

I know for certain about the horizontals being too strong up until 3-4 weeks. I just bought some verticals to make "baby bottles" for the brooder.

Whatever you go with, I suggest some "dry runs" to make sure you can keep a decent temperature on them, especially if you go with bulbs. I had quite a nasty surprise doing my "dry run" with a 250 watt bulb in the laundry room, I really would have cooked the baby chicks!

Excellent advice to do the "dry run".

I put a thermometer on a brick just under the heat lamp since a brick is just about exactly as tall as a chick. That way I get the temperature at the level of their backs.

I think all of your replies are very informative and helpful!! I think I've settled on building a brooder from plywood, 3' L x 2' D x 12" T for 6 chickens. That should be plenty of space to take them up to 8 weeks old or so, at which time it will be warm outside and I can move them to their coop. I may block off half the length at first until they need more space. It will have a lid with some hardware cloth for ventilation. I've decided to go with an Ecoglow 600 brooder. I'm going to put them in the garage where it doesn't get too cold. Our garage isn't heated, but our HVAC guy said it's "conditioned". I don't know what exactly that means, but it's always warmer in the winter than outside, but not as warm as the inside. I'm going to monitor the temps in the garage the next few days to see how the temps fluctuate. The brooder will be near a window so the chicks will get daytime light. Do I need a small light for them at night? I welcome your feedback. I really appreciate all the input I received!!

Back
Top Bottom