brooder lights

I have my chicks set up in a 54 gallon rubbermaid tub inside the spare bedroom. I started with the 250 watt red bulb in a dry run before getting my chicks, and it was way too hot. It had to be 5 feet above the tub to read 95 degrees at chick height. It heated the whole room to 90 degrees, I think. So then I got a 150 watt red reptile bulb from the local pet store for about $6 and that is perfect. The shade is level with the top of the tub and it is 95 degrees at chick height. You can buy them from Amazon too, if need be.

Don't forget to double clamp your lamp! Even the 150 watt bulb is 450 degrees at its surface - have a fail safe so there is NO WAY it can fall. The threads about people losing their whole coops or even houses from fallen heat lamps are so awful.

PS ~ speckly chicken, where were you able to find a red 50? I wold buy one if I saw one. I have been looking all over for something lower wattage.
Yes, I found one at our local feed store. Unfortunately I live in Canada and am not sure if it's something you'd find in the States. If I remember the brand I will post the info.

Don't forget to double clamp your lamp! Even the 150 watt bulb is 450 degrees at its surface - have a fail safe so there is NO WAY it can fall. The threads about people losing their whole coops or even houses from fallen heat lamps are so awful.
Sometimes its not just the lamps. If you have to use a extension cord sometimes the cord will short out and catch fire too! I lost my first flock of chicks this year to a faulty extension cord. I was and still am paranoid about fire. I checked both the lamp and the cord multiple times a day. Never once was it ever hot. their was no signs that the cord or the lamp were drawing too much power. one morning I fed the animals at 8:30 am and checked on the chicks as was my normal routine! satisfied that everything was alright I went inside and about an hour later. My brothers girlfriend came tearing through the house yelling fire! sure enough the shed where the chicks were was on fire and it was too late to save my girls. I am glad that they in their short lives learned the joys of bread! oh how they loved their bread!
I was always careful with the heat lamp. I had it tied up not clamped I know that their was no way that the lamp falling was the cause of the fire. The lamp was rated for a 250 watt bulb and all I had in it was a 45 watt bulb! I have talked with both the fire department and several electricians about it and have even showed them what's left of the cord . they all agree it had to be the cord!
So please if you need to use a extension cord buy one that is rated for a much higher load than you think you need! It just may save a life of several!

Sometimes its not just the lamps. If you have to use a extension cord sometimes the cord will short out and catch fire too! I lost my first flock of chicks this year to a faulty extension cord. I was and still am paranoid about fire. I checked both the lamp and the cord multiple times a day. Never once was it ever hot. their was no signs that the cord or the lamp were drawing too much power. one morning I fed the animals at 8:30 am and checked on the chicks as was my normal routine! satisfied that everything was alright I went inside and about an hour later. My brothers girlfriend came tearing through the house yelling fire! sure enough the shed where the chicks were was on fire and it was too late to save my girls. I am glad that they in their short lives learned the joys of bread! oh how they loved their bread!
I was always careful with the heat lamp. I had it tied up not clamped I know that their was no way that the lamp falling was the cause of the fire. The lamp was rated for a 250 watt bulb and all I had in it was a 45 watt bulb! I have talked with both the fire department and several electricians about it and have even showed them what's left of the cord . they all agree it had to be the cord!
So please if you need to use a extension cord buy one that is rated for a much higher load than you think you need! It just may save a life of several!
So sorry to hear of your loss. How devastating! I am not using an extension cord and won't now.

Ya it has way more paranoid about fire than I have ever been! Don't you dare go near my hay shed with that lit cancer stick! I managed to raise this next batch of chicks without a heat lamp! I turned up the thermostat on my heater up to 75 which meant that it got to be about 78 before it shut off at ground level. Much warmer higher up 80 degrees or more at chick level. I also used hot water bottles changed out every few hours to help keep them warm! I didn't get much sleep for the first few week's but I managed. I only lost 1 chick with this last batch, she had some issues with her digestive tract and never thrived! she died peacefully in my lap. The only thing that was a bit of an issue was they had a Chick-fit when I turned the light off at night! Who would have known they were afraid of the dark? LOL! I love my chicks but I don't think I will ever buy another heat lamp again! I would love to try one of the eco brooders but it's out of the budget right now! I now need a new Coop as mine kind of blew away! Spring time in Arizona can be very windy when you live on the top of a hill!

I am terrified of that stupid light, and I cannot wait to get everything outside. I have it chained to the kitchen ceiling from a toggle bolt,no extension cord thankfully, it's behind three baby gates and an old crib front zip tied to block off a whole section of the room, so no pets can get near it and the chicks.

I am terrified of that stupid light, and I cannot wait to get everything outside. I have it chained to the kitchen ceiling from a toggle bolt,no extension cord thankfully, it's behind three baby gates and an old crib front zip tied to block off a whole section of the room, so no pets can get near it and the chicks.

At least I'm not alone in my distrust of the light! I cant wait till I get my new coop mine are almost ready to go outside permanently. Unfortunately I think the universe is against me as my nice, sturdy, built by my own two hands chicken coop was litterly picked up off its base and was flung about 100 yards down to the bottom of the hill! It was smashed beyond repair. In the process my poor little baby rooster was injured! Note to self: make absolutely sure new coop is secured so well to ground that it wont budge even a fraction of an inch despite Gail force AZ spring winds!

Hello everyone... I'm brand new to BYC. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't figure out how to post my own?? I can only see how to reply to others. Could someone point me in the right direction?
We will be receiving 80 meat birds in the mail tomorrow and everything is set up, but my 250 watt infrared lamp is only putting out about 82 degrees directly underneath and about 70 degrees around the edges of the brooder. My hubby says they'll be fine, but I think we should get another lamp. The chicks will be in out basement for a while and it's not very warm down there. Seems like the heat from the lamp is rising and diverting away from the brooder. Any suggestions? The brooder is a medium size kiddie pool, so the walls are only maybe a little over a foot high. Thanks everyone! And again, sorry for the thread hijacking!!

Back
Top Bottom