Brooder Question

katef842

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2016
I am a new time chicken owner and loving it. I got 12 baby chicks at tractor supply that I believe look 1-3 weeks old. I have a plastic brooder that is working great, but they are growing fast. Would it be ok to split the flock in half and have two brooders? I just wanted to get someones opinion if thats a good idea or not in regards that once they get older they would all be in the same coop. Or would it just be me needing to learn how to introduce them like a new flock in the future? Thanks!!!
smile.png

It's best to make the brooder larger. Do you have a coop already. The old fashioned way is to brood them in the coop with a circle or whatever you have to keep them confined and slowly make it bigger. I wouldn't split the group's, chickens form bonds with their flock mates and don't like intruders, so two groups wouldn't be a cohesive flock, and you could have fighting and problems.

Yes, I have a coop. Its just too cold for them to be outside where I live. Thank you for your help! I will look for a bigger brooder instead.

Back
Top Bottom