BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Jareds44m--I would imagine it would work for you just like 2Dream's in the pics just above. You would have to make a screen top, to keep the cat, or whatever, out, and also to keep them from flying out. The little devils can get pretty active pretty young.
My month old Rhode Island Red's are starting to crow. Hubby ran in from garage a couple days ago wanting me to hurry out, one of my chicks seemed to be choking, or something. LOL

Thanks JudyM - Every one here is so great.
My chicks will be inside the house for at least 4 weeks before I move the brooder to a new location. Temp in the house never falls below 70 degrees due to a cockatiel and a pet rat. The chicks will be kept in the same location where they can be watched and enjoyed when I am home. There is a window in the area that the sun shines through during the day so that helps keep that area warm also. Since I work all day I was concerned about that light bulb burning out and decided that 20 years ago when I raised chicks they always survived no matter how clumsy my efforts were.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
2dream--Oh, well, they will make it fine at 70 if their bulb goes out. It was 5 F here this morning, so you wouldn't want them outside with a burned out bulb if you lived around here. LOL

Here in Mississippi it seldom gets very cold for very long. Biggest problem here is 28 in the a.m. and by noon its 80 then starts dropping. You just never know whats going to happen in a 24 hour period.
Thats why the chickens get to stay in the house for the first 4 to 6 weeks depending on how fast they feather out. That is the only way to keep them at a stable temp.

Last edited:
I am suppose to get 10 chicks March 2nd with an estimated hatch date of Feb10th. Could y'all please tell me how long they will need to be in a brooder and because of my fat cat can I put it in the storage buidling off of my back porch, it is not heated. Will the heat lamp be enough for them to stay warm. I am so nevous about this, I hope I can do it and not lose any. Thanks Laura

in march you should be able to keep them in the building with the lamp. and i usualy keep mine in the brooder until they are fully feathered at about 6-7 weeks. some say less.but in march its still alittle cool at night in nc. jmho
smile.png

Thanks johnny, I don't even have them yet and I'm already stressing about them. I've never had baby chicks as I got mine last August and they were between 8 to 10 weeks old and it was hot out side. Any other info would be appreciated

nccountrygirl--I would go ahead and set up your brooder setup in the building, and put a simple thermometer (a buck or 2 at Walmart) in there and see what your temp is with the bulb on. (check temp under the bulb--and check at night if you can get up and do it, once, so you know they won't get too cold at night.) Due to the temp. changes between day and night,you will want it to be warm enough at night, but will want the bulb just at one end, so they can get out of the heat if they need to, during the warmer day, but under the lamp if they need to at night. They are smart enough from day one that they know to move under the heat or away from it, if they just have the places to go.
One problem with the brooder outside in a building is that if your bulb would burn out during the night, they would be in trouble. With my setup, I can glance out a window and see light in a crack in the building door, and know it is on.

To Jareds44m--I was thinking--I don't know if glass would hold/reflect heat and get too hot for the babies??? I have never used glass, but I would assume it would be the same as the plastic brooders many use. You might stick a cheap thermometer in there and see--and also feel the side of the glass near your heat source. Probably just additional worry on my part--I am very good at that. LOL

Back
Top Bottom