BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

This is one helpful thread, thanks for sharing everyone. Been thinking of raising chickens here in the backyard, we have 2m x 4m of empty space in the backyard that I could turn into a small chicken farm
big_smile.png

Quote:
Click uploads up in the blue bar along the top. You can upload pictures there. Or, if you have a flicker or photobucket account, you can put the picture there, then copy & paste the "img" tag

update

Today my wife and I worked on the 4x4x8 foot grow out pen that connects to the matching 2x2x8 foot brooder box.

I got the vinyl floor down. I think it looks nice, for now with no birds!
wink.png
clean.

I also put in a 8' perch/roost, for when they are a few weeks older or so. It's 7" off the floor. I hope it's not too HIGH for little ones?

70230_p1050936.jpg

Finally I put the latch and handle on the outside of the pen door.
70230_p1050932.jpg

EDIT/more updates

The next day we cut out the doors/hatches between the brooder box and the grow out pen. I used small hinges to get them to fold in/down and they act as ramps this way. We also installed barrel/bolt lock on top of both doors so I'm able lock them close.

Here are pictures.

Door/Ramp when open
70230_p1050938.jpg

Door/Ramp closed
70230_p1050939.jpg

Here is reverse view from pen to brooder box.

70230_p1050944.jpg

Here is a picture of it now! I just need to decorate and install the heat lamps/lights and we good to go!

I have already got pine shavings... Ordering all other equipment end of DEC begining JAN.

70230_p1050968.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished an hour ago. It sits on the armoir in the living room and is meant to keep the chicks safe from dogs and kids, but the kids can still look!

36211_img_3664.jpg

36211_img_3668.jpg

Last edited:
These are 2 of my brooders. One is 5.5 feet long and the other is 3.5 feet long.
100_0820.jpg

this one is the 5.5 fet long one it has the ablity to be divided by sliding in a plywood divider
100_0815.jpg

This one is the shorter 3.5 foot one. The wired section drops down and the top board is hinged to
allow for easy food and water refills and cleaning.
100_0814.jpg

here the front door is open
100_0818.jpg

These are what is left of my last hatch....1 EE and the rest are cochins.
100_0816.jpg

Another tote person here. I use a piece of Plexiglas on the top and a 40 watt bulb to start with now they have a 15 watt bulb they are two weeks old. It stays around 80 in it with the 15 watt bulb. Course our house is either too hot or too cold. We heat with a wood stove only. PITA. I like the tote idea cause it's real easy to clean. I just dump it every day. The bulb does not seem to get hot enough to burn anything. I have a smoke alarm on the ceiling for my own piece of mind. Wow some of you are so creative. I wish I was. There are some real nice brooder on here. Wow.

20760_dscf1584.jpg

Back
Top Bottom