BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

MissPrissy, can you tell me what you put on the bottom of the playpen? I'm thinking of going to Goodwill and looking for one. This is our first time having chicks so we are learning a LOT from you folks!

I hope it's ok to ask this question in this thread (I'm new here :D). How long do the chicks stay in the brooders before they can go to the chicken coop? I asked the people at the store and they said " when they are fully feathered". This is our first time doing this so I am just curious as to how long that is? Weeks? Months?

I'm so excited! :weee

Depends on this size of the brooder I guess and if you are joining to an existing flock.

Definitely need to be feathered out before they come off heat, but it also depends on local weather too. Here it's quite warm, so the heat was removed after 3 weeks during the day, then only another week of just night.

Our two latest chicks are now 6 weeks old, fully feathered and roosting at night in a grow out coop. We can't add them to the main coop just yet as they are not big enough to stand their own ground against the bigger birds already in there.

There are many variables, I am assuming this being your first lot you are not joining flocks, so you could probably move them out to the coop at about 5-6 weeks, depending on local weather. If it's really cold and you have the space maybe keep them in a grow out pen or brooder at night until they change feed at about 8 weeks old.

Would a metal end cow tank work for 30-40 chicks?
BE4_50130008C.jpg

I think that would work well, but IMO that many chicks would outgrow it in a couple of weeks. If I used it, I would use it for a 3 or so weeks until the chicks were over crowding, then move them to a grow out coop during the day for a week. By then they should be getting close to fully feathered and able to stay in the grow out coop full time.

Local weather depending of course. here we can do that with mild winters.

Oh, after a week or so that tub would need some sort of wire lid too, little devils start leaping out otherwise!

Thank you Bens-Hens!

Ya we don't have any chickens yet. The chicks we get next month will be the only ones and we live in northern Colorado so I see what you mean about leaving them in a bit longer :D

This is my brooder I plan to use for my 5 banties coming in April. They will be in their own room. I hung plastic shower curtains to keep the dust somewhat contained to the brooder area. I put a curtain on the floor as well to keep the floor protected. Once I get closer to d-day I'll add pine shavings and paper towels. I'm going to create a top for it has well and add a roost. Can't wait to get my babies!!!!

Back
Top Bottom