BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

great use of the old cage then! How long til there's chicks?

They're here! 6 days old now. They are so much fun.

There are so many amazing examples of brooders for our babies! I started with the storage tote for my 6 chicks but they quickly grew out of that and we graduated to a kiddy pool.

My friend built me this in home brooder box! It turned out just like a piece of furniture!! It looks BEAUTIFUL!! We painted it brown and gold to match our living/kitchen area which is Egyptian themed.

It is 4 feet long by 2 feet wide by 2 feet tall. It has 3 LED lights on a dimmer switch, a roost bar, a mirror for them to look at which they love, brooder cap water bottles from the chicken fountain, homemade PVP 2 inch pipe feeder with fermented organic scratch and peck feed, Eco Glow 50 heater, non toxic pine pellets, a bucket filled with weeds and dirt to play in and eat, and last but not least 4 caster wheels with the front 2 lockable. He used heavy duty aluminum screen for the 2 front doors and side vent holes instead of hardwire cloth for 2 reasons. For one, I was hoping it would be less dusty, and for two, now they can't fling stuff out! Too awesome!!

THANK you SO MUCH RICK for building this, we love it!!!!

I think these 2 weeks old chicks are living the high life in their penthouse!! SO SPOILED!! :)

PS To those who question that this is very small, let me say this brooder was built specifically to house the chicks from hatch to 3 weeks old only. I am getting another one built for the garage that will be 6 foot by 2.5 feet and will have 3 levels for different ages to be separated out. Ill post it once it is built. I will be hatching every 3 weeks and the new chicks will always go in THIS brooder. in the house. Then the 3 week old chicks will always be moved out to the garage brooder. Then the cycle will keep going so I am hoping it will never be too small for 3 weeks old chicks! See I did have a plan! :)

Last edited:
My friend built me this in home brooder box! It turned out just like a piece of furniture!! It looks BEAUTIFUL!! We painted it brown and gold to match our living/kitchen area which is Egyptian themed.

It is 4 feet long by 2 feet wide by 2 feet tall. It has 3 LED lights on a dimmer switch, a roost bar, a mirror for them to look at which they love, brooder cap water bottles from the chicken fountain, homemade PVP 2 inch pipe feeder with fermented organic scratch and peck feed, Eco Glow 50 heater, non toxic pine pellets, a bucket filled with weeds and dirt to play in and eat, and last but not least 4 caster wheels with the front 2 lockable. He used heavy duty aluminum screen for the 2 front doors and side vent holes instead of hardwire cloth for 2 reasons. For one, I was hoping it would be less dusty, and for two, now they can't fling stuff out! Too awesome!!

THANK you SO MUCH RICK for building this, we love it!!!!

I think these 2 weeks old chicks are living the high life in their penthouse!! SO SPOILED!! :)

LOL and a potted plant too...lol.....only in Cali.. No just kidding really.

That is awesome!
Are those bike frame water bottle holders?

Problem is, all those lovely birds are going to outgrow that brooder really fast!

Last edited:
LOL and a potted plant too...lol.....only in Cali.. No just kidding really.

That is awesome!
Are those bike frame water bottle holders?

Problem is, all those lovely birds are going to outgrow that brooder really fast!
It is fresh weeds and dirt not exactly a potted plant. :)

Yes this brooder is only meant to keep them from hatch to 3 weeks old. I am getting another one built for the garage that will be 6 foot by 2.5 feet and have 3 levels for different ages. Ill post it once it is built.

Yes those are bike frames to hold the water bottles. We put them at different heights so they can always use them as they grow. I also usually have a brick under them to help absorb any water that might drop out as they drink.

Last edited:
This is our brooder. Larger size Sterilite brand tub, 250 infared aimed only at one side because it's really hot for the size of this setup,the lid is improvised from a dog crate panel, wrapped in chicken wire, strapped on with a spare strap from my canoe car topping set. I hung the lamp from the ceiling, on an old dog chain, with a toggle anchor and eye bolt. There is a small caribiner to adjust the lamp height as needed. We'll need a larger tub in a few weeks I think.

Last edited:
Here's a brooder design I made from an example from someone here. There's another the same size that attaches on the back when they are big enough to need the room.

Will have screen:

Back
Top Bottom