BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Used a preformed pond which works perfectly. After searching the house and yard for options I saw the old pond so I drained it and cleaned it up the night before picking up my pullets

Got my indoor brooder pretty much ready. Puppy pads with shelf liner on top, feeders, waterers, heat lamp, and a lid built if needed. It actually was made for the brooder in the garage, but will cover this box.

This is our first year with chicks. We have 29, yes a lot but go big or go home right? lol We have a big family and we'll be eating lots of eggs. So we have a couple diff brooders because of how many we have. We tried a tote, then a large watering trough and finally a baby play pen we no longer use.

We wrapped the bottom in a couple of large trash bags and we draped a tarp folded in half over it. We then added the shavings and a small plastic tote lid with a few pieces of scrap wood flooring to put the water on so it would have a flat surface.
Over the top we put a wood and wire screen that we found on our new property. and we added a piece of cut trash bag to it so it is wide

enough to cover the top so they don't jump out.
Now that this is going well we are starting to add a few toys and I am going to find some long stick to put in for them to perch on.

[/IMG]

Our Brooder that we built, 5 feet x 3 feet with front viewing screen that we call the chik o vision. It's helping our 2 dogs get use to seeing "the girls" to hopefully prevent issues once their outside

Last edited:
Nobody seems to be using aquariums so I hope its not a bad idea. Here's mine. Its 4 feet long and theres 30 chicks in there. Once they outgrow that then I'll move them to a wood/chicken wire Flemish Giant hutch. Any idea when they can free range with my flock? The temps will be in the 100s soon so caging
them is not ideal.

I had 8, 5 full size & 3 bantams, in a Rubbermaid tub for 4 days. I got 3 more full size. & 2 more teeny bantams a few days later. I modified the large dog kennel into a brooder. I didn't see this thread before hand, I'd seen it on an Instagram hashtag of all places. It should be big enough to last until they feather out & move to the outside hen house.

We lined a dog kennel with plastic fencing with 1 inch holes. The floor is covered with the same wire, covered with a few layers of newspaper and then wire again so I can roll the newspapers between the wire piece for easy cleanup but they still have good traction. There is shavings scattered throughout the pen with a box of thick shavings for sleeping. They cab roost on the box sides or on the two porches. An aluminum loaf pan entertains them with the reflections and they can climb ontop of it. Their water is in a box to cut back on the amount of shavings that end up in it. The heat lamp stays on unless I am using my clothes dryer then it goes off for a while.
I have 6 two week old pullets in there right now and they might have to share it with a tote full of day old chicks till Thursday night when we can buy another heatlamp.

Last edited:
Here is a link to my IN-HOME brooder from hatch to 3 weeks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6233/brooder-thread-post-pics-of-your-brooders/2560#post_13296320

And here is my just finsihed garage brooder for 3 week until they can go outside.

We finally have it done! My triple stacked brooder. The brooder is 6 foot long by 2.5 feet wide by just over 6 feet tall with the 3 inch wheels. The front two wheels have a locking clamp. I have a mirror, 2 water bottle brooder caps with bricks underneath to catch drips, homemade PVP 3 inch pipe feeder with fermented and non fermented Scratch and Peck Organic feed, a bucket with dirt and weeds, a Ecoglow 50 for heat, a roost bar for fun.
The 6 doors close like a cabinet. It is not predator proof because it is in my garage. This brooder cost me $600 to have built (not including paint, wire mesh because I had some, or the items inside.) As you can see in one of the photos, the inside inserts come out, they hold the pine shavings inside but I can remove them for easy cleaning. They are held in place by dowels.
Once I put it all together I feel like it is a little crowded for the 6 chicks 4 weeks old I have in there but there is a lot for them to do instead of a lot of empty space that does not entertain them. Besides in the daytime I will be wheeling it out onto my porch for them to enjoy the day. I can probably take the heater out since they are older and that would give them more room, but they like the shelter it provides.

What do you all think? I will read every post, and answer any questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom