BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Yep, I totally agree. But the chicks are in one section of the basement and the sink is in the other, meaning you have to open a door before you wash your hands. So we have the hand sanitizer right there. I don't think it is a substitute for washing my hands thoroughly when I've handled the chicks, but using it in addition to washing my hands does help me feel better.

I have been reading through this thread. Would I be able to use an indoor rabbit hutch, the plastic type, with a mesh overlay? I know I will need to sort the flooring so it's not slippery, then I was going to swap to another rabbit hutch at side of coop, to integrate them with my other girls? Thanks

I have been reading through this thread. Would I be able to use an indoor rabbit hutch, the plastic type, with a mesh overlay? I know I will need to sort the flooring so it's not slippery, then I was going to swap to another rabbit hutch at side of coop, to integrate them with my other girls? Thanks

I use this and its perfect, they have the height, you can tie the food and water up a bit, east to get into, very easy to clean , I just put down some none slip fabric bought on a roll £2.20 mtr
Then shavings, I put kitchen roll on the shavings for a day or two
I pick out the poo twice a day the once a week do a complete disinfectant and replace all the shavings, wash the non slip fabric and put a clean one down

I'd gets very dusty, I'm not sure this is a hygiene issue but I Do wet clean up the dust until I can get an extractor fan

This is exactly the same. Mine has the hideaway area that the rabbit uses in winter when we bring him in too, but I figured the chicks could use it to roost or hide, I have an unused dog kennel out in garden that the girls love to hide/seekseek bugs into.
As soon as we are back from holiday I am getting some babies, hubby is going to kill me ;)
Now my next query: feeders/drinkers that can be made around the home (yes I want to save my money haha)

I use this and its perfect, they have the height, you can tie the food and water up a bit, east to get into, very easy to clean , I just put down some none slip fabric bought on a roll £2.20 mtr
Then shavings, I put kitchen roll on the shavings for a day or two
I pick out the poo twice a day the once a week do a complete disinfectant and replace all the shavings, wash the non slip fabric and put a clean one down

I'd gets very dusty, I'm not sure this is a hygiene issue but I Do wet clean up the dust until I can get an extractor fan

I love that!!! What kind of cage is that?

I want one

I even got a water bottle with it and a little hay tray( rabbits)
I do like it I sit with my hand inside the door on the front and let the chicks get use to hopping on and off my hand
I'm a human chick perch

The pink plastic corner tray was my attempt at litter training, my rabbit had no problem using a litter tray, chickens forget it
Life is toooo short to litter train chickens!

Last edited:
Before moving to Nebraska 3 months ago I had a catering business in the Baltimore MD area. I saved some of my equipment, you never know when it might come in handy. I was going to do the large plastic tub thing when I was in the garage and saw my stainless steel prep tables leaning against the wall. I put one of them together with the lower shelf upside down to create a lip to hold in the pine shavings, etc. Wrapped it in hardware cloth, framed the front with 1X2;s and made a door with hinges and latch. I have a brinsea small brooder for warmth and a red led light for seeing. I will put a light on a timer to match daylight hours as the room has no windows. I am really happy with how it turned out. I will promise my babys that none of them will end up on the prep table! lol Chickens for eggs only. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/tmorgan4/Brooder_zps113b1a6f.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom