BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

f4d92c29-4f81-41d4-948c-093477ab882c-jpeg.1610365
One of the scariest heat lamp setups I've seen....so easy to fall off that little ledge.

Made a new grow out brooder today. My Rubbermaid tub worked great for 5 chicks, even if a bit crowded for a couple weeks, up until 6 weeks of age. But today converted an old crib that I got for like 15 dollars. The side does slide down.. it is that old, but sturdy.. so am happy with it. The chicks seem to be too now that they can at least have some breathing room rather than rubbing shoulders all the time.

Haha, still using this SAME crib after 5 years. Though I use a tarp inside as a full liner these days.. much easier. This thing has seen many babies! lol
20190217_114056.jpg

The far end (I use an indoor/outdoor Dog heating pad) So that is why you don't see a heating source. It is UNDER the tarp. Works brilliantly. Heats to 102*F. I keep the shavings off of it though, as it is warmer that way.

Here is the brooder I built for our first chicks, which will be arriving early June. It is 4'x4' with a removable divider in the center so I can start with a smaller area then expand it as the chicks grow. Alternately, I could brood two different groups of chicks. Top is 1/2" hardware cloth and hinged, allowing one side to fold up while the other stays closed. When not in use, it breaks down into 2'x4' flat sections for storage. No shavings in there yet, as we still have a few weeks before the chicks actually get here. I also have a second brooder plate now and more feeders and waterers than what is pictured, just in case.

BrooderTop1.jpg BrooderSide1.jpg

Here is the brooder I built for our first chicks, which will be arriving early June. It is 4'x4' with a removable divider in the center so I can start with a smaller area then expand it as the chicks grow. Alternately, I could brood two different groups of chicks. Top is 1/2" hardware cloth and hinged, allowing one side to fold up while the other stays closed. When not in use, it breaks down into 2'x4' flat sections for storage. No shavings in there yet, as we still have a few weeks before the chicks actually get here. I also have a second brooder plate now and more feeders and waterers than what is pictured, just in case.

View attachment 1731838 View attachment 1731839

Nice brooder! You will find that this will be very useful for many batches of chicks! Nice that it can be taken apart. Of course, hatching and/or raising chicks can be a bit addicting, so maybe it will never be broken down, but always waiting for that next batch!

Nice brooder! You will find that this will be very useful for many batches of chicks! Nice that it can be taken apart. Of course, hatching and/or raising chicks can be a bit addicting, so maybe it will never be broken down, but always waiting for that next batch!

Haha! I have heard that, yep. Unfortunately, it is taking up almost all of my studio, so it will have to be broken down if I want to do anything in there other than raise chicks. Of course, may turn out I don't want to do anything other than raise chicks.

Here's the brooder I built for my first ever round of hatchlings. It's located in the pantry that I've never gotten around to finishing because of other projects (like raising chickens, lolt ). It may be on the small side (2' by 2.5') because I didn't expect to get a 75% hatch rate my first time out!

Here it is before the hatch:
IMG_20191008_161730.jpg

...and here's some photos with 3-day-old tenants:
IMG_20191021_135333.jpg
IMG_20191021_140024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom