BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

This has to be one of the best threads for newbies!

Anyone else know of good threads for newbies?

On like getting started and whatnot....

Quote:
I would suggest reading ALL of the "stickies" at the top.

smile.png

My brooder is cheap, easy to assemble, and can be replaced for every new brood

get a clothes dryer box from the appliance store. Tape the ends securely and tip onto one side (this box is 29"x43").

83951_2011-04-09_15-28-15_354.jpg

Cut a hole in the top, about 4"inside the edge

83951_040911163651.jpg

Line the bottom of the box with a thick (contractor grade) plastic bag or heavy plastic sheet. Tape ask around the edges.

83951_2011-04-09_15-29-54_826.jpg

For young chicks, I use puppy pads on the bottom instead of shavings, just laying clean ones on top of soiled ones as needed.

83951_2011-04-08_14-47-29_638.jpg

When the chicks are older I switch to wood shavings, scooping them out as needed with a dustpan. I often put chicks in an outdoor pen during the day, and move them back into the box at night if it is still cold out. You can make a roost with a board across the box, and for older chicks I cover the top with an old baby gate to prevent escapes.

These boxes have a square opening in the end, I just cover this inside and out with packing tape to make a window.

The top can be covered with wood scraps or cardboard to help hold in heat, this one is in my (cold) garage so sits on a piece of foam insulation.

I have 8 EE chicks, 6 Ameraucana & 5 bantam Cochin chicks that are now 3 weeks old in 2 large plastic tote brooders in my basement family room until tomorrow when they move to the new brooder in the pole building.

The new brooder is made out of 1.5 sheets of OSB and is 4'x8'x2'. It is divided in half with a removable screen so that 2 separate groups can be raised at the same time. There are 2 separate screens made from furring strips and 1/2 hardware cloth on top for easy access. Each side also has a baby sized roost. The entire brooder is put together with screws so that when brooding season is over it can be disassembled and lays flat for storage. There is no bottom on it at this time ~ it is sitting on sheets of cardboard and has a heavy duty tarp over the cardboard. I have a heat light and a natural (Reveal) light on each side as well as a baby size sand box for dust bathing.

P1130125.jpg

P1130121.jpg

P1130116.jpg

P1130117.jpg

Quote:
Looooooove it. We think a lot alike, but clearly your carpentry skills are way better than mine. Mine is posted on my page.

Thanks! I came up with the design and DH built it. He is a little "picky" when it comes to building things. Everything has to be square and plumb. Even the little roosts are exactly the same height and perfectly level!

Quote:
~}}}INSTEAD OF THE PUPPY PADS YOU CAN BUY PADS FOR BEDS(for humans) THERE JUST LIKE PUPPY PADS, ONLY ALOT CHEAPER. AT WALMART, KMART ANY STORE THERE EVEN BIGGER & WORKS JUST AS GOOD. I even put paper towels on top of the pads then pick up the paper towels with poop on them through out the day. Just a thought & very nice brooder ~Julie~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom