Brooder too small?

peopleRanimals2

Songster
Jun 30, 2015
Rhode Island
My mom argues that a 17 by 30 ish inch brooder is not too small for three 2 1/2 week olds and three 4 week olds. Any ideas? I would upgrade to a dog cage. The girls do regularly fly out when the lid is off, and I think it is a little crowded. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I agree you need a larger brooder, they really don't have any way to get out from under the heat there.

At three weeks I move my chicks outside with a heat lamp, but they have the entire grow-out pen to explore. At 3 1/2 weeks I turn the lamp off during the day if the weather is decent. At 6 weeks they're outside and off the heat period.

If your chicks are inside, you can turn the lamp off during the day and start acclimating them to cooler temps.

We payed a lot of money for this lamp, so I don't think my parents will be eager to just stop, but it can be raised very high.

Sometimes it's best to be dollar wise vs penny wise...

A 250W bulb cost about 72 cents a day to operate or about $22 a month
A 60W bulb cost about 17 cents a day to operate or about $5 a month

I'm guessing the $17 savings a month by switching to a 60W bulb might be the wise investment...

Yes, you that brooder is now too small and they should be moved into a larger brooder/coop...

Thank you! They will be moved tomorrow!

You should also consider a smaller light or moving the light further away, what is the temp inside there?

Coming up on 3 & 5 weeks old, 80° is plenty warm for them...

I am just judging by the fact that they all sleep evenly spread under the lamp... I raise it when I notice them sleeping all on the edges of the brooder. We don't have a thermometer because I am paying for most of this, and I only have so much allowance, and my mom doesn't want to spend the 3 bucks to buy one.

I am just judging by the fact that they all sleep evenly spread under the lamp... I raise it when I notice them sleeping all on the edges of the brooder. We don't have a thermometer because I am paying for most of this, and I only have so much allowance, and my mom doesn't want to spend the 3 bucks to buy one.

They will abuse the heat if you give it to them even when they don't need ti, $1.86 at Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marina-Aq...-Suction-Cup-Suction-Cup-Thermometer/48184769

I agree you need a larger brooder, they really don't have any way to get out from under the heat there. 

At three weeks I move my chicks outside with a heat lamp, but they have the entire grow-out pen to explore. At 3 1/2 weeks I turn the lamp off during the day if the weather is decent. At 6 weeks they're outside and off the heat period. 

If your chicks are inside, you can turn the lamp off during the day and start acclimating them to cooler temps. 

Ok, thanks. I will pick up a thermometer today. Three of the chicks are still 2 1/2 weeks old, and where I live, it's 30 degrees in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. We also don't have a handy outlet back where the coop is. (And the coop is almost built, but not quite enough to put them outside)

So, bigger brooder, around 80 degrees, and maybe some trips out side in warmer weather? I might start turning the heat lamp off when the younger ones are a little older, since they are in the basement, and it is cooler down there. (As you may have noticed, my family is not really the type to really think of the chicks as living things that have needs and are babies.) :rolleyes: I raised the lamp a little, and until I get home from school I think they should be ok.
Thanks so much!

Ok, thanks. I will pick up a thermometer today. Three of the chicks are still 2 1/2 weeks old, and where I live, it's 30 degrees in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. We also don't have a handy outlet back where the coop is. (And the coop is almost built, but not quite enough to put them outside)

So, bigger brooder, around 80 degrees, and maybe some trips out side in warmer weather? I might start turning the heat lamp off when the younger ones are a little older, since they are in the basement, and it is cooler down there. (As you may have noticed, my family is not really the type to really think of the chicks as living things that have needs and are babies.)
roll.png
I raised the lamp a little, and until I get home from school I think they should be ok.
Thanks so much!

You've got a great attitude about all this, and with BYC, and easy way find all the info you need. I think is great that you are handling the raising of the chicks and school, and working hard.

I know they are in the basement, but is it possible to get them any sun during the day? Always a nice cheap way to solve heat problems. Also, you could probably soon switch to a simple 60 watt incandescent (old style) light bulb to hang over one end of the brooder, as long as the bulb has a cover/housing. By placing the bulb near the edge of the brooder, you can give them areas to pick and choose their temp. Most people seem to have one of the old lights on the end of a long cord like you use for working on a car, etc hanging around somewhere, that's what I use when its not especially cold. At their age, and with as many as there are, they are close to being able handle normal room temp pretty well during the day. Tough to deal with being gone for school, but gradually taking the heat away to "harden" them some will help.

Once you get them to the coop you can place an old cardboard box, or your old brooder crate filled with straw inside the coop to give them the option of continuing to huddle in a nest if cold, rather that roosting, but I bet you knew that. If you have any type of farm stores where you are that sell bales of straw, ask them if you can rake up some of the loose straw for free. I do that regularly, but I live in a rural, farming area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom