broodies

i'm not an expert, but i believe they do need to begin laying first. Otherwise the urge to set on eggs would not be there. i currently have a very broody Silkie. She was the first of my girls to start laying, and i am hoping the other nine do not follow in suit.

i have read and heard that Silkies are excellent broodies. Mine is out in the coop now trying to hatch sawdust.

Hmmm...I don't think they have to lay eggs before going broody but couldn't say for sure.

My buff orps, araucana, ameraucana and silkies all are excellent broodies. Easter eggers are not known for broodiness, but I have a couple that like to sit probably because of the ameraucana in their bloodline.

I have had buff orp pullets lay one or two eggs and go broody. They can be very frustrating and very determined girls. The araucana tend to like to gather a clutch then sit. Silkies and my bantam ameraucana will go broody on one egg and fight to keep it. LOL

Jody

HEY ALL! I AM NEW TO THIS CHICKEN THING SO I HAVE A QUESTION. I HAVE A HEN THAT LAID TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME AND SHE IS DETERMINED TO SIT ON THE NEST. HOW DO I KNOW WHEITHER OR NOT THE EGG IS FERTILE AND DO I NEED TO LET HER SIT OR TAKE IT BEING THIS IS HERE FIRST TIME LAYING? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Quote:
First off do you have a rooster and has he been mating with your hens? Some breeds are more broody than others ie buff orpingtons. If you have a rooster chances are it may be fertile, but not all roosters make a hit the first time lol. A broody will sit on eggs and go into a zen like trance and will not move for nothing. She may be agggressive if you try to remove them. If you don't want chicks keep taking the eggs. You can tell if they are fertile after a while you can candle them-this is done in the dark with a bright flashlight to observe the progresstion of the chick inside the egg. Try the raising chicks area on this board to learn further about this.

In additon, it's best not to hatch out the first pullet eggs although it can be done. Most layers do like to sit on their eggs for a while before leaving the nest. She is broody if she doesn't go to roost and puffs up like a turkey when you approach.

MY CHICKENS ARE RIR'S. I DO HAVE A ROOSTER, BUT I AM NOT SURE IF HE HAS TRIED TO MAKE BABIES, LOL! HE HAS JUST STARTED SHOWING SIGNS OF BEING INTERESTED IN HIS LADIES! AS FOR MY HEN SHE DIDN'T SEEM TO MIND ME MESSING WITH HER IN THE NEST BOX. I PUT MY HAND UNDER HER BELLY FEELING AROUND AND SHE LET ME. MABLE IS A VERY SWEET HEN NOT AGGRESSIVE AT ALL.
I HAVE NOTICED HER AFTER MY OLDER HEN LAYS THEN MABLE GET'S IN THE NEST BOX AND SITS ON THE EGG FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND THEN SHE WILL GET UP. SO TODAY SHE HAD HER OWN LITTLE EGG TO SIT ON PLUS1!

Back
Top Bottom