Brooding chicks outdoors in summer"

I ended up purchasing 2 of these:

View attachment 3575020

I attached them together to make 1 LARGE brooder. I had 4 trough feeders and a couple of waterers in there with them along with the large Rent-A-Coop brooder plate. It worked quite well for about 1 month before moving them outside.

We only lost 1 chick after going outside and that was to a dog that got a hold of her. The remaining chicks are all doing rather well with the heat so far, and we are dealing with 13 consecutive days @ 110+ so far. The heat wave is expected to continue for at least the next week, but we will not spend much time below 100 until ~ Sept. Even our lows at night are in the mid 90's right now.

Here is a pic of them getting ready for bed the other day. Only a few more weeks and they will be integrated into the flock with the big girls.

View attachment 3575023

You put the brooder outside of your house in the coop not inside your house?

I am planning on putting my brooder on our back porch in shade with a fan during the day. Doing the heating pad cave at night. I am not concerned about nighttime…more concerned about the heat during the day. I have cut outs on the side to help with ventilation.

Will keep an eye on them and change water accordingly.

You put the brooder outside of your house in the coop not inside your house?

I am planning on putting my brooder on our back porch in shade with a fan during the day. Doing the heating pad cave at night. I am not concerned about nighttime…more concerned about the heat during the day. I have cut outs on the side to help with ventilation.

Will keep an eye on them and change water accordingly.
Sorry, I wasn't real clear on placement. I had the huge brooder set up in my family room for a month. At that point we moved the chicks out to the coop and run.

Here is a pic of the brooder setup before the chicks were all added.

20230519_150552.jpg

Back
Top Bottom