Brooding inside house?

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
I have some SQ Dark Cornish Bantams due to hatch Wednesday, I was planning on brooding them inside the apartment in the family room. Anyone ever brood chicks inside there house in living areas? I figured if I cleaned the brooder each day it would stay pretty clean, but not sure if its good to have them in the house like that. Normally I do them in the barn but that is not an option right now.

We incubated 23 in our living room hatched 17. Moved them to a shipping crate with a heat lamp in the kitchen for the first week. Had no issues. 4 weeks later they're in the garage and haven't lost one yet.

Target has 50 gal plastic storage tubs with snap on lid for about $15.00. I bought two of them and cut the center of the lid out and attached hardware cloth. Works great and easy to clean and disinfect between hatches.

The first week isn't bad but after the first week they start stinking pretty fast. I know of people who brood 100 chicks in their basement for 4 or so weeks. I've brooded some in my basement and will have some in there again next week but if the weather is nice they will go outside after that first week. I have some chicks out in the chicken coop in a large tub with a heat plate. They are old enough now that they can be moved out of the tub if the other chickens will leave them alone.

I have some chicks that are hatching next week at an activity center for the handicapped we will leave the chicks there for a week.

I only keep mine inside until the brooder needs to be cleaned then they go to the brooder in the shed and when it needs to be cleaned they go to their permanent cages or pens.

I have 11 in my bedroom in a brooder. They don't smell as I clean it out daily, but the dust is awful! It doesn't matter how much I clean the dust, it is back the next time I to in.

We found out that my husband must be allergic to the dust because he is absolutely miserable and congested in our bedroom. We have moved to the den until the coop is finished.

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom