Brooding three chicks, help

LillianMae

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Oregon
hey guys, so I'm going to be getting chicks this march, and I need some help. I'm only getting three chicks because I don't want a ton of chickens. Their brooder is in the barn and is raised. I'm thinking to insulate them I will have their bedding in a way to keep the nice and close, have a sheet around the sides, and a headlamp fairly close to them. Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks

Thanks! I've brooded chicks before, what I'm asking is help for insulation tips with brooding such a small amount.

You could start of small with only having 3 chicks like a tote box or something similar and put that into your brooder you have.Then when they are a little bigger put them in the brooder. When I moved mine out to garage I just put table cloths tied around the outer pen. They were fine and we had below freezing temps. I just made sure they were warm enough under the lamp.

Last edited:
For a small amount of chicks like that I use a regular 60w house bulb in my brooder lamp, hung about 6 inches off the floor of the brooder cage. I raise or lower it an inch or so until the chicks make a loose little circle under the light. If they pile on top of each other and cheep loudly I know they're cold and I lower the light. If they spread out all over the place I know they're hot and raise the light a bit.
In other words I'm not worried about heating my whole brooder to a certian temperature. They go down to the cold end to eat & drink and go back under the light when they get cold. Much like they do in real life when raised by a real hen.

If you're just using an incandescent light you can use a dimmer extension cord to adjust the heat output.

Back
Top Bottom