Brooding???

My 2 little girls are truly Diva Chicks. Their coop, run and yard (pea rock) area is cleaned everyday. They have their own turf area to graze on. I didn't need for my Blackie to go broody and from what I read I was worried she would not eat or drink. The dog cage I put her in was turned on its side so the bottom with the wide spaced wire was up against the wall and set up on wood blocks off the ground abut 4 inches. I also put a large wood dowel in it so she could get off the wire. She had food and water. Plus a treat once a day. At night I covered the cage. Her sister Blondie sat on top of the cage much of the day. I was surprised Blackie didn't get pooped on LOL. After the 4 days and out of the cage she started laying about 3 days later. I knew she was coming out of it because she started squatting again. I know she's much happier now. Back to cooing and giving me an egg everyday at 10am.

My 2 little girls are truly Diva Chicks. Their coop, run and yard (pea rock) area is cleaned everyday. They have their own turf area to graze on. I didn't need for my Blackie to go broody and from what I read I was worried she would not eat or drink. The dog cage I put her in was turned on its side so the bottom with the wide spaced wire was up against the wall and set up on wood blocks off the ground abut 4 inches. I also put a large wood dowel in it so she could get off the wire. She had food and water. Plus a treat once a day. At night I covered the cage. Her sister Blondie sat on top of the cage much of the day. I was surprised Blackie didn't get pooped on LOL. After the 4 days and out of the cage she started laying about 3 days later. I knew she was coming out of it because she started squatting again. I know she's much happier now. Back to cooing and giving me an egg everyday at 10am.
Happy to see you have everything under control. You were definitely nicer to your girl in the cage than my friend was!

Sounds like I built almost the EXACT same set up as you. I left her in for 4 days. As soon as I let her out she was right back in the nesting box. DARN! I put her straight back in time-out (that's what we are calling it lol). It has been two days since that and we are leaving town for the weekend. Not sure if I should leave her in there over the weekend (probably will) but I sure hope she stops brooding soon. I was looking at my layout too and got to thinking there may not be enough space for her on the roosting bar in the main coop. Going to add another roost so hopefully that will help. Thanks everyone for your input and I'll keep you updated.

AandVschickens....... from the picture of your "time out" it looks like you have wood on the bottom. Leave the wire only. I put a pole across that she could stand on sometimes to make it more comfortable. But from what I am reading, they need the air up under them.
I had to put her food and water in little cups that I wired to the side of the cage, because there is no bottom to set them on.
With no bottom and just wire she can't try and roost. Hope this helps. I would leave her there for the weekend (but have someone check on her food and water). Good luck! Hope that does the trick.

AandVschickens....... from the picture of your "time out" it looks like you have wood on the bottom. Leave the wire only. I put a pole across that she could stand on sometimes to make it more comfortable. But from what I am reading, they need the air up under them.
I had to put her food and water in little cups that I wired to the side of the cage, because there is no bottom to set them on.
With no bottom and just wire she can't try and roost. Hope this helps. I would leave her there for the weekend (but have someone check on her food and water). Good luck! Hope that does the trick.
The holes on the bottom of the crate were way too big. But (you can't really see it in the picture) I did give her a roosting bar (which she used at night). Either way IT WORKED!! after a week and a half she is finally acting like her old self again. Thanks all for your help!!

The holes in my crate were big on the bottom too (where a pan went). So I turned it on its side and put the side with the large holes up against a wall.
YAY!!!! It worked for her. So happy all is back to normal.

We have an australorp and a buff orpington too! Ours are names Blackie and Princess. Blackie spent the last 2 days in the nesting box so I got on here to find out if she was brooding and what to do about it. We reached underneath her and pulled out 2 eggs. They were eggs that were laid by the other chicken. Is that normal? After we pulled those 2 eggs out she got out of the nesting box and went running around the yard. I guess that's good. This thread as very helpful. In fact, this whole site is great. We also have 2 new chicks. I think one might be a whittle silkie? And the other has black and white stripes. Can't remember the name. I'm off to look at pics so I can figure it out.

If your Blackie is sitting in the nesting box, poofed feathers (you might even see some of her baby down feathers in the box) not laying eggs herself, then she is most likely Broody.
Follow what we have been talking on this blog about by putting her in a wire dog crate. She needs the wire on the bottom so it will cool her and she can't squat to nest. Give her food and water, (I cover mine at night) and in 3 to 4 days she will be good to go. It will take a few days for her to start laying again.
Be sure to collect your eggs often. I have read that leaving eggs in the nesting box could cause them to go broody.
My Blackie, after 6 weeks of her first broody attack, is back in the Broodie Breaker. She gets out of jail tomorrow. I just have the two hens so it's not that big of a deal for me. Love my girls!

Yea. This thread is perfect for determining broodiness and how to break them. I went from killing her to a happy heathy layer again thanks to this thread.

Our black and white is a Maran (I think). Good luck!!

Last edited:
I've got a mother hen right now whos got chicks and she usually sits around 3 times a year and I usually always let her hatch out but she's going a bit over the top now so I'm going to stop her next time as she's hatched out and other hens should get their turn. I've decided to try my own little theory which is to put her in a shed with no bedding, just perchs, food and water. Anyone tried this?

Back
Top Bottom