Broody 22 week old pullet

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
My 22 week old pullet has been laying since 19 weeks old and has slowly been showing increased signs of broodiness. Staying longer I'm the nest box puffing up and growling loudly when I go check on her and when I ultimately kick her out of the nest. She has still been laying everyday, so I imagine she's not gone full broody yet, but today was the worst for her broodiness and just kept going back to the nest after kicking her out, and when I kicked her out she would end up just an angry puff on the ground.
I ended up just taking the nest boxes out of the coop, and I will put them back tomorrow when I know the other ladies will need to lay. There are only 4 laying so I'm able to keep track pretty easily.
How long will it take for her to stop being broody? Shes being broody in the favorite nest so the others are being thrown off by it. We ended up with an egg in the yard 🤣

Thank you!
1000008271.png

Do you have roosters and if so, perhaps one too many? Seeing's she's still laying eggs but faking being broody makes me wonder if she's just wanting to stay unbothered. I had a couple doing that until I got rid of one of the roosters. Otherwise, is there some other reason she may prefer to just stay in the coop?

Do you have roosters and if so, perhaps one too many? Seeing's she's still laying eggs but faking being broody makes me wonder if she's just wanting to stay unbothered. I had a couple doing that until I got rid of one of the roosters. Otherwise, is there some other reason she may prefer to just stay in the coop?
No roosters. Shes top hen and they free range so I am not sure what reason she would have to want to stay in the coop.

That’s is a sapphire gem right it looks like one. But we have a chicken that is broody to and she actually one day started flogging but we got a rooster and it made her happy she then starting hatching some eggs and after that batch she quit and then we moved the rooster away into another pen so no baby’s until we won’t some More.

That’s is a sapphire gem right it looks like one. But we have a chicken that is broody to and she actually one day started flogging but we got a rooster and it made her happy she then starting hatching some eggs and after that batch she quit and then we moved the rooster away into another pen so no baby’s until we won’t some More.
Shes an olive egger. Ameraucana X BCM . They do look very similar though!
I wish we could get a rooster 😔

Shes an olive egger. Ameraucana X BCM . They do look very similar though!
I wish we could get a rooster 😔
It's rare to see anyone looking for a rooster. Usually most of us are trying to get rid of one or more. Have you tried searching your state's thread on here or else here?

If you have FB and are in any chicken groups for your area and mention you are looking for a particular rooster, I'd bet you'd be getting several replies.

Ok well hopefully I can break the broodiness before she quits laying. She is roosting tonight so hopefully it won't be too tough.
I have silkies and if you know that breed, you'll know I'm very experienced with broodies ☺️ . After hearing a couple of stories of hens dying right in their nest because their owners didn't realize they weren't getting up to eat or drink and seeing how scrappy my silkie hens were looking, I gave up on allowing it anymore. We have a dog kennel on the opposite side of the yard, complete with gravel. I put food/water in there and every morning, whoever doesn't leave the coop goes with me to the kennel. At dusk I let them go back to the main coop. The next morning, whoever's left in there comes with me back to the dog kennel. It takes about 4 days to break them, and it's wonderful to see them walk out of the coop the next morning.

It's rare to see anyone looking for a rooster. Usually most of us are trying to get rid of one or more. Have you tried searching your state's thread on here or else here?

If you have FB and are in any chicken groups for your area and mention you are looking for a particular rooster, I'd bet you'd be getting several replies.
Oh I didn't mean I couldn't find one, we aren't allowed chickens where I am let alone a rooster 😬 🤫

Back
Top Bottom