Broody accidentally lost eggs overnight!

jenger

Hatching
Apr 17, 2015
My broody hen accidently lost more than half the clutch overnight - not her fault, but mine - a design flaw of my broody box. (Last year I used a dog crate...)
She accepted them again when I saw them out in the morning.
This happened around day 5.
Is there any hope?
I numbered the eggs, but was in such a panic to get them back under her, I didn't see what number had come out...
I was planning on candling on day 10 - I suppose I will keep that plan - I should be able to tell if they didn't make it by then, right?
Thanks for your help!

She could have ate them or another hen did. When chickens get a taste of eggs they can eat the whole thing where you don't even know.:th you have to find out who it is or your clutch will be gone. Probably if the eggs have been out too long in the cold no hope.:hit

Last edited:
She was being a good mama, didn't eat them - I have a design flaw in my broody box - it's on old bathroom vanity, and I should of laid something besides bedding into it - the eggs slid out during the day when then door was ajar - I noticed a few when I went to close her in in the evening, and then more in the morning - but the doors had been secure overnight, so those eggs were out overnight!
I'm guess it's all over for those... so sad.
I will candle them in a couple of days, assuming they would show lack of development a few days after the "incident".
I am considering giving her a whole new clutch...

Back
Top Bottom