Broody Adoptee Success!

Cerenity

Songster
Aug 14, 2019
Lodi, CA
Morning! At the beginning of April, I had my Amberlink hen go broody. I've had so much going on, I lost track of the days and realized she has been broody for a full month! I got a couple chicks from the feed store yesterday. The silkie chicks were the youngest and the smallest, so, I figured they'd be my best bet as far as fooling her into thinking she had actually just hatched them.

Hubby and I snuck out (we literally did not turn lights on in the barn and just went out with flashlights) last night around 9pm switching the chicks for the eggs. Initially, there was a whole clutch of eggs, but, last week I took all of them except for two. She's a first time mama, but, I think she took to it really well! One of the chicks got out from under mama right after we put them under there; the hen was a little confused about how to get her back where she wanted her, but, they ended up being able to figure it out. They are in an extra horse stall in the barn by themselves with food and water about a foot away.

So, they've been under mama now for almost 12 hours and I guess I expected the hen to have gotten up with them to get some food and water? The babies have come out a couple times, but, mama stays on the nest. The babies fart around around right by the hen - I mean RIGHT by her. Like...on her perimeter, still touching her. But, when she doesn't get up, they just tuck back underneath her. I'm worried they are hungry or thirsty! :( How long will she sit on the nest without getting up? What will their schedule be like - are they supposed to stay under her all day?

I have only ever brooded chicks inside and I feel like they are more active than these ones under mom. It is still early in the day, but, we're in California, so, it's already 63 degrees out. The barn is fully enclosed also, so, no wind or anything.

Attachments

• PXL_20220506_141659702.jpg
    PXL_20220506_141659702.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20220506_141159215.jpg
    PXL_20220506_141159215.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom