Broody and Incubator eggs/chicks integration

hodor

Songster
Nov 6, 2015
Australia
We are hatching 12 eggs that were posted. They were pretty poorly handled with the postman swinging the box as he walked to the house. We put half in the incubator and half under a broody hen as we thought 12 would be too many for her (never used a broody before) and she had been broody for a couple of weeks before we got the eggs so we were concerned about that.
Just did the seventh day candle and have 5 viable eggs (one looked like the yolk was broken and obviously didn't start growing)

Anyway, we now have 3 viable eggs under the hen and 2 in the incubator. Is the broody likely to accept these eggs from the incubator if we put them under her or are they too far along now? Or do we introduce them as chicks or wait a few weeks? Happy for some links if that's easier, just didn't find anything on the forum .

Ok so ive done this a lot! You can do either! Eggs may be best in case she's a hen whos good at counting but whichever works if you think shes at risk of crushing extra eggs. If they all incubated at the same rate there should be no issue. But if slipping incubator chicks post hatch DO IT AT NIGHT. No light no saying high no making her aware you want her to assume your checking eggs hatching and then get gone. A hen who catches 'unknown chicks' will kill them or leave them to die. As long as you don't alert her and slip the babies under in one go you should have no issues either way

Now hold on second please I put egg under my silky she had them 2 weeks got 3 live peeps went in the night I got them took an egg then added 2 peeps took an egg added the last she was happy let them under talking to them depends on the bird but cannot hurt to try

@penny1960 tis true but I wouldnt recommend experimenting on a hens first clutch, I have a great cochin brood who refuses to adopt other chicks unless 'mine' aka hand raised. But a pretty terrible polish mom who will take anything I give her 3 or less weeks. It depends on the bird but I'd advise starting all the chicks together in a girls first clutch wether introduced or hatched from day 1-3 on a hens first clutch to prevent risk and test out mom ability and attitude first. Thats just my opinion though based on my own birds

One important thing i will note is please do a thorough health check on your girl before she hatches anything. Hens often get lice and mites while brooding and can pass them onto chicks which can easily die of such. Chances are it wont be an issue as its now going into winter but I always think it safest to check.

Back
Top Bottom