Broody Austra White

LCsAChickenLover

Songster
Jul 30, 2020
Sacramento, CA
Find it odd that a hybrid of such is as broody as this gal has been recently. I am thinking about putting one of my 3 day old chicks under her, she has been sitting for about 14-15 days now on rocks
I am unsure of this hens age or if she has been broody before, often, hatched chicks, etc., as I rescued her at the beginning of March
Is the chick too old? Bad idea to try her as a surrogate? Thoughts?

Find it odd that a hybrid of such is as broody as this gal has been recently. I am thinking about putting one of my 3 day old chicks under her, she has been sitting for about 14-15 days now on rocks
I am unsure of this hens age or if she has been broody before, often, hatched chicks, etc., as I rescued her at the beginning of March
Is the chick too old? Bad idea to try her as a surrogate? Thoughts?
Wait until well after dark and slip the chick under her. Be there before dawn to monitor. She may accept it, she may not.

I'd try it. Some hens are happy to mother older chicks, some are not. So definitely be down there at daybreak to see how it is going.

How many chicks do you have? Will she be raising the chick with the flock? I'd try with more than one chick. After the broody weans the chicks they will have to make their own way with the flock if she raises them with the flock. If you keep the broody and chicks isolated from the flock you will have to integrate them yourself at some point. Both of those go better if the chick has a buddy. I'd prefer giving her at least three chicks if she will take them. It should make life easier later.

I have 3 Austra whites and all 3 have gone broody. I was able to break 2, but the third is relentless! I was shocked they went broody, and especially that all 3 did. I don’t want more chicks, so I’m still trying to break her. I may end up giving in and letting her have a chick. I have successfully giving a broody hen chicks several times. I always do it during the day so I can watch her and are sure she accepts them. Most people say do it at night, but I am always afraid she will reject them and will come out the next morning to dead chicks. I slip a chick under her, once she is settled, I slip another. Most I have done was 12. No problems.

I have 3 Austra whites and all 3 have gone broody. I was able to break 2, but the third is relentless! I was shocked they went broody, and especially that all 3 did. I don’t want more chicks, so I’m still trying to break her. I may end up giving in and letting her have a chick. I have successfully giving a broody hen chicks several times. I always do it during the day so I can watch her and are sure she accepts them. Most people say do it at night, but I am always afraid she will reject them and will come out the next morning to dead chicks. I slip a chick under her, once she is settled, I slip another. Most I have done was 12. No problems.
Oh wow all three!! The austra white would have been my last pick if I had to guess on a broody!
I didn’t end up giving her any of the chicks, I was too “chicken” to give it a try..Daylight hours is most likely the way I’d try, for the same reasons you gave
She is STILL broody even though she’s sitting on air now. Just hoping she will give it up, I’m positive it’s been longer than 21 days..
She’s very dedicated, so thinking next time around I’ll give her fertilized eggs to sit on. See how that goes!

My neighbor has an elderly Austra White that goes broody a couple times a summer. Verrrrry determined is Wilma. But the neighbor is...hap-hazard about trying to break the broodiness.

My neighbor has an elderly Austra White that goes broody a couple times a summer. Verrrrry determined is Wilma. But the neighbor is...hap-hazard about trying to break the broodiness.
Determined is an excellent description! My gal sat for about 37 days before giving up and rejoining the flock. Sooo stubborn!! I’m unsure of her age as she was a rescue, but maybe if she’s on the older side, that’s why she was so determined..

Back
Top Bottom