Broody Black Swedish "Broody" for longer than 3 weeks. Help!

CooHawk

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2023
Hi everyone,
So we have 4 female Black Swedish ducks that are a bit over 1 year old. They are housed and fed/watered well and we get 3 to 4 eggs a day like clockwork. They also have their own 20gal pond to swim in and we live on the river, so in the summer they get to spend a lot of time in there.

A little over a month ago our oldest "Webbie" began to show signs of being broody. Getting puffed up and vocal when we approached her. Staying low to the ground with her upper back feathers up. If no one is around she will act completely normal. If you get close the feathers go up and she quacks like the world is ending! She may even do a bit of a charge at you.

However, she only sits on her nest a normal amount of time and doesn't even care about the eggs. We started to remove all the eggs immediately after they all lay and have even gone as far as removing nesting materials. It has been almost 2 months and nothing has changed. She used to be the quiet yet adventurous leader so this display is a total 360 of her personality.

The worst part about it is 2 of our other ducks, No.2 & No.6 are beginning to copycat her! They do everything she does when she does it apart from putting up there back feathers. So going near all of them is sooooo loud!

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

Thanks

No
She is just preparing a nest, not broody. Ducks can be protective with out taking it to the next step of being broody
No I don't believe so. I’ve had to deal with quite a few broody ducks and chickens before. Webbie has made a new nest everyday or every other day since she began laying and she abandons them quickly to this day. She doesn't care about her eggs or nest. Ive just never seen this behavior before. Thank you for responding though, any help we can get is greatly appreciated. I’ll post a video soon of all their behaviors I described in my first post. Maybe that will help. Has anyone else had to deal with a situation like this?

Back
Top Bottom