Broody California White

MrPaw

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Zone 8a Washington, North Carolina
My 1 yo California White (CW) is officially broody. Never expected her to be a mama as the breed are egg laying machines. At first my silkie went broody in the main coop, biggest nest box. After three days I moved her, nest box and all to a separate pen. I noticed a CW just kept staying in the back of an out building sitting on 3 eggs and a golf ball on gravel with a few leaves. She would run off when I gathered the eggs (I left the golf ball) but then went right back even gathering more leaves. Tried moving her to the pen with the silkie but she would not stay on the nest. Let her out of broody jail and she went running around like all the other girls. But back she went to her favorite spot and did not run away, just sat there keeping golf balls hostage. After a week of this I ordered fertile eggs. She and the silkie are now sitting on 18 eggs in two different areas. The silkie is sitting on 6 eggs and 12 under the CW. We are on day 3 with fertile eggs. Finger crossed Will the CW and her chicks be safe from the other hens when they hatch? Should I try moving her again?

Side note: I have 8 CW's so I took some concentrated blue food coloring and marked the broody so I can tell her apart and keep track if another goes broody later on. (I knew not to use red as the other girls would pick at those dyed areas.)

Wow how exciting! Yes I'm sure the other hens won't hurt the chicks and if they do momma will usually protect them. But just to be sure keep a good eye on them the first week or so. If you feel better moving her away from the others you can but sometimes mommas can be pretty picky about were their nest is. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Back
Top Bottom