Broody call duck information please

Oct 13, 2023
I am planning on letting my girl call duck, Johnny, go broody next year (2024) it will be her first year laying eggs, she hatched this year on the 26th of May (2023), My first question is will she go broody as it will be her first year? I have two male calls which we bought when Johnny hatched as nobody else in her clutch hatched (I incubated 17 call eggs) the boys, Buttercup (the alpha male) and Puddle, my second question is as they have never breed before so will they successfully fertilise any eggs that Johnny lays?
Johnny ⬇️
20231016_083115.jpg
20231016_083212.jpg The black call with the most white is buttercup (the alpha male) and the black call with the least white is puddle

I am planning on letting my girl call duck, Johnny, go broody next year (2024) it will be her first year laying eggs, she hatched this year on the 26th of May (2023), My first question is will she go broody as it will be her first year? I have two male calls which we bought when Johnny hatched as nobody else in her clutch hatched (I incubated 17 call eggs) the boys, Buttercup (the alpha male) and Puddle, my second question is as they have never breed before so will they successfully fertilise any eggs that Johnny lays?
Johnny ⬇️
View attachment 3714307
View attachment 3714309The black call with the most white is buttercup (the alpha male) and the black call with the least white is puddle
They are so adorable
I cant answer your questions but I think @New duck mommy 2021 @Miss Lydia can help

not sure directly about calls but not all ducks go broody
It’s always best with younger birds to keep a bator ready to go in case they give up part way through
I have 15 girls. One of mine is a great sitter but didn’t want babies
One of my young girls around 1 years old did great last summer
She sat , hatched and was a great mom
None of my others have tried more then a few days
Having 2 boys will be risky come mate season
Often both will mate her and it may happen they fight over it and right on her
If you can either re home or separate one male when mate season is in full swing
Or add more females so she isn’t being over bred
A big thing I learned was don’t incubate the first eggs. They start smell and grow larger
Smaller eggs end up being hard to hatch with less room for babies
Now I wait as my first batch was very rough
@WVduckchick has calls

Thanks @New duck mommy 2021
We are planning on getting more female calls before mating season so they don't hurt Johnny but we also have 4 old female khaki cambles I don't know if the boys would be interested in them as the khakis are more than twice the size of them
(I am way to attached to buttercup and Puddle to rehome one of them )
I very much understand
I got attached to drakes too and went from only having 3 ducks to 19 😂
The boys bay try ti mate the khaki girls and it would be safe as the girls are the bigger ones

Thanks @New duck mommy 2021
We are planning on getting more female calls before mating season so they don't hurt Johnny but we also have 4 old female khaki cambles I don't know if the boys would be interested in them as the khakis are more than twice the size of them
(I am way to attached to buttercup and Puddle to rehome one of them )
You definitely need to get more girls as two drakes could really injure the one hen come mating season.
Usually if you don't gather the eggs a hen will eventually go broody. Mine will even go broody on each others eggs.
Fertility just depends.. if you have a drake that is getting the job done they should be fertile. Sometimes eggs from a hens first laying cycle do tend to have more trouble hatching.
Be prepared to set up temporary fencing of some sort around your girl once the ducklings start to hatch. Sometimes Drakes and even other female ducks are not kind to the littles.

You definitely need to get more girls as two drakes could really injure the one hen come mating season.
Usually if you don't gather the eggs a hen will eventually go broody. Mine will even go broody on each others eggs.
Fertility just depends.. if you have a drake that is getting the job done they should be fertile. Sometimes eggs from a hens first laying cycle do tend to have more trouble hatching.
Be prepared to set up temporary fencing of some sort around your girl once the ducklings start to hatch. Sometimes Drakes and even other female ducks are not kind to the littles.
Thank you
(I am looking for female calls right now :lau)

I would pen the call hen with the drake she likes best and place the other drake with the large duck hens. Provide swimming water and her chosen mate will get the job done. Provide a secure place where she can lay/set/incubate and she will most likely do the rest.
Thanks
I kind of wanted Johnny to mate with both boys can I put one boy with her then the other boy so that I get both boys breed with Johnny or will that not work?

Back
Top Bottom