Broody chicken on a clutch... What is the best ways remove her

gingerchopper

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2013
Hello. Newbie question We have 5 chucks and recently did some work on our property that opened up new spaces and opportunities for the chickens to investigate. One chuck, Benedicta went missing for 5 days only to turn up mornings and eat, drink and go again. Thought she was jumping the fence to investigate pastures anew but we worked out she was sitting on eggs In a dark corner of the property she had never been to before. She came off her nest this arvo and she has 14 eggs there. What should I do? Should I leave her and hope she looses interest or take her off the eggs and remove them??? Never had this issue before as the have always done gone broody in the hen house and she has been fairly easy to dissuade. Feels mean to take her away but am aware with the cooler weather and her eating little it could be bad for her. Help!

welcome-byc.gif

If the eggs are infertile it would be better to remove her from the nest, discard the eggs and break her broodiness. Broody hens could sit for weeks and weeks before giving up and you're right. It's not good for them too sit too long. If you'd like her to raise some chicks though, wait another week or 2 and replace the eggs with a few day-old chicks. That will get her off the nest :)

Infertile eggs. I figured I'd have to move her, at this stage it just seems mean, but coming into winter here in NZ and i Could loose a chicken as where she is is quite exposed. Not excited about it as she is vicious- when she is broody she pecks people and chases the kids! Where can I rent body armour from....

Back
Top Bottom