Broody Duck Hatching Chicken Eggs

Violinturtle

Hatching
5 Years
May 11, 2014
One of my ducks decided to go broody on some chicken eggs that were in a nest. I decided to leave her and see what happened. I have never given any of my birds an opportunity to try and hatch out any chicks, so I'm fairly new to it all. They are brown eggs so they naturally look a bit darker, but I am not entirely sure what I should be looking for. Is the duck providing the right conditions for the chicken eggs to hatch properly? Any input and tips on anything about hatching would be great! These are some pics of some of the eggs. There are 7 eggs in the nest. These are some pics from several days ago when they were about 12-14 days developed; is this how they should be looking? Currently we should be around day 17-19. Sorry for the terrible candling pics; I only have a flashlight, no real candling stuff.

Egg #1

Egg #2

Egg #3

Looks about right to me for the top two 3rd egg looks a little light maybe no one in there? Ducks make good moms as long as they can't take their adopted kids swimming. Should have little ones soon. We call our duck hatched chicks "chuckies". They grow up and forget their mom was a duck too.
Aprille

Back
Top Bottom