Broody EE for trade, excellent mother!

grandmachicken

Songster
15 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Williamson, GA
I have an 8-month old EE, pretty light brown bird, rather small, who started laying at 20 weeks, small cream eggs, and then went broody about 2 weeks later. We allowed her to set on 7 eggs from our other hens, and she hatched 5 of them. She stayed with the chicks until about 2 weeks ago, when they were about 6 weeks old. She was a great mom, taught them how to eat, brought them into the coop and showed them how to roost. She has only been laying again for about 2 weeks now, and out of the blue - she has gone broody again! I took her last egg away yesterday, at my peril. She did not lay today but has not left her nest.

If anyone wants a good setting hen, I live just south of Atlanta and am willing to travel. Would not mind trading for another good layer, buff orp or something like that, but will also give away free to good home.

My husband wants to eat her for dinner, but I thought I would give this a try first.
tongue.png

Christi

Some pics of broody Millie:

15837_millie1.jpg

15837_millie4.jpg

15837_millie5.jpg

15837_millie3.jpg

She raised her first brood in a cat carrier; she is now setting in a lawnmower grass-catcher bag hanging on a hook in the shed!

How far are you willing to drive? I live 30 miles north of Birmingham. I don't have anything to trade but I would be glad to take her off your hands if you ever come over this way.

I would love to take her, but I'm down in Gainesville, FL. Not sure how far that is from you. I could drive a little ways to get her. I need someone to hatch out some eggies.
big_smile.png

Christi, I am in Kennesaw, just north of Atlanta. Would this be too far?

I would love to have your little broody [I love a good mama hen!] and I can trade you a nice laying hen for her.

I don't have any buff orps I can trade right now, but I've got a delaware X welsummer, an Auracana mix who lays well, or a pure black australorp ... and some others, you can just pick out who you want!

Let me know!

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom