Broody?? Egg Bound??

Kmack

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2015
Hey everyone,
I just got my chickens a few days ago, It has been nearly a week with them and only one of the three POL hens I have is laying so far, which is fine. I've got a hen, though, who seems to be in good health. She runs for treats, eats and drinks fine as far as I can tell. She's actually queen hen. But other than when it's time to peck everyone away from the good food, she just sits in the corner of the dormant garden bed next to the compost bin where it's nice and warm and squishy, fluffs up, her tail kind of raises and juts out straight horizontally and her butt seems to pulse (haha, sorry not sure how else I can describe that). But I have eggs in the nest boxes in the coop to encourage laying and she isn't sitting on those, or Lorelei's eggs. I put two nest boxes outside just for her near "her spot" and she has no interest in them. I built an outside roost just for her this morning to see if she just wanted to roost but had nowhere to sit, and she is still just sitting in that spot. She does get up and walk around and her tail goes up and she looks perfectly normal and she'll peck around for a bit and boss everyone around but she just spends a lot of time there.....and the butt pulsing thing is the weird part.

Is she broody? Is she egg bound? Her crop is fine. I already lost one of my POL birds to sour crop so I'm super jumpy about my girls behaviors. I can figure out how to post a pic if necessary.

Last edited:
And she's not laying because I check whenever she gets up and there is no egg, not on top of the dirt or buried. This has been going on for at least two days now, going on three.

Last edited:
Yeah I posted there as well because I got no responses here.
Well, you only waited an hour. lol sometimes you need to wait a day or two.
No problem, it's better to have only one thread...for you and the folks responding.

Sorry, tried to delete this one but couldn't' figure out how. Let me know if there is a way. It just seemed like a situation that possibly didn't have a day or two and I was trying to get advice.

Back
Top Bottom