Broody Epidemic!

Susan49

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 13, 2013
It seems that broodiness is contagious in my coop...I have 2 hens setting a dozen eggs each right now so my maternity ward is full. Last week I had 3 hens go broody and they each spent time in the isolation tank which seemed to cure them. This week I have 5 or 6 who are broody!

My question is about isolating them to discourage broodiness. I have two large rabbit hutches in the run (I have almost a hundred girls) and that's where I put them if they go broody and I want to cure them. But with so many going broody at once, I wonder if I can put more than one in each cage? I suppose if the main idea is to make them a little uncomfortable then it doesn't matter, as there's easily enough room on the wire floor for a good half dozen chickens to sit.

However if being alone hastens the "reprogramming" process, then am I better to find other places to put the others, or can I just do it in phases, ie 2 hens go in for a couple of days, then the next two, etc.

Or is there a better/faster way to discourage broodiness?

I use a rabbit hutch-size chicken coop to break 2 broodies at a time, but right now I have 8 (1 on eggs, 1 with chicks,) and the 6 I'm trying to break are all together in an 8X8 covered wire run that is 5 ft tall. All it has are water, feed, a dirt floor and a large roost that all get on at night. I have used this many times and they will spend 3 to 5 days in there. If they get back in a nest box they go back out to the wire run. In cold weather times I use a bare cage inside the coop.

One of my battery hens seemed to go broody these past few days, and she's a breed that's not supposed to go broody (Red Production). It's been cutting down egg production to nearly half, somehow. How is this affecting my other hens? Also, is the only way to stop broodiness to isolate them?

Back
Top Bottom