broody frizzle sitting on fifteen muscovy eggs

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
I have nine chicken eggs in my incubator and I also have a broody Frizzle chicken outside. I just moved her- against her wishes- and counted fifteen 'should be fertile' muscovy eggs and six nonfertile chicken eggs. I had to help her out. I took everything but six duck eggs.

I just put the scovy eggs in the incubator with my chicken eggs- against my better judgement. The last time I tried hatching muscovies it was such a disaster I vowed never to do it again. (Last time, they made it to hatching day, pipped and died. very very sad for me.)

Wish me luck.

Best of luck hope all goes well
fl.gif
fl.gif

hmm. I was just thinking about it- and my Frizzle has been broody about three days. Perhaps I should change out the chicken eggs in the incubator for the scovy eggs. Considering my chicken eggs are on about day 2- and scovies go 35(?) days. I worry about her deciding to unbroody herself before they hatch. Then she can hatch my chicks- and I can add all the scovy eggs to my incubator and up the humidity.

o-Shamos.
Now, I will give away the roosters individually. Because I cant have them, and as everyone knows- they cant be housed together or with any other roosters, but I really wanted a couple of those huge game hens. But, now, I cannot count my eggs before they hatch...

And she is a Frizzle, of course she is broody. Like a silkie, it only takes one day of sunshine to send them into broody mode. Lol.
I think I will go ahead and switch out those eggs with these chicken eggs though. Makes more sense.

But sevenchickens, I shudder at the thought of trying to hatch scovies again after last years disaster.
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Roosters can be housed together actually, just depends on how much space they have so they're not on top of each other.

Are those duckies harder to hatch or something? I had a guy give me what were suppose to be turkeys eggs and a TON of ducks hatched out instead and I didn't have to do anything differently than I did with chicken eggs, lol

Shamos are game- I thought they will fight to the death if housed together once they are older?

And ducks require higher humidity during incubation/hatching. I hatched out different ducklings before with no problem, but the muscovies were an awful experience for me.
sad.png

it was depressing! Fully formed ducklings dead for apparently no reason. I don't think I'll try to incubate them again. I'm hoping mother nature will take care of that for me.

Sevenchickens-

is your name still correct? lol.

Im sure with five of them in my backyard, I should have Mother Nature doing that for me, as well. HOWEVER- with nine inches of stupid snow out there now, it may not be any time soon.

I put some food in the coop next to my frizzle. She is almost in a trance. She is locked down tight on those eggs. I think I will wait until we get close to the chicken eggs hatching date to switch out with her.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom