Broody gets bullied

goldonwarrior

Hatching
Aug 20, 2015
we have a broody hen who just can't seem to get a break what we ended up having to do was move her into a dog cage because our rooster and hens where ripping out feathers and making her comb bleed should we keep her segregated or move the dog cage into the coop and leave the door open

Welcome, glad you have joined us, but so sorry about your problem.

I only have hens but have experience with broody mood conflicts, but not as severe as your issue.

IMO you should keep her separated so the others cannot harm her and reintegrate once the brood mood is over.

Assuming she is incubating eggs, if hatching is successful, you will need to keep the babies and mom separated from the flock until they are old enough to introduce to the flock.

Hopefully someone with more experience will offer some advice here.

I have a few questions that might make it easier for us to offer you some advice:

- is she an established member of the flock, and if so, where is she normally in the pecking order?
- how many hens have you got in your flock, and are they all picking on her, or just one or two of them?
- how long has she been broody, and is she sitting on fertile eggs?
- is it her first time brooding, or has she done it before? (if so, was it a successful brood?)
- do you want her to continue brooding or would you prefer to stop her?
- have you got a safe place (outhouse / shed / garage etc.) where you could set up a temporary area for your broody and her eventual chicks?

The more information you can give us about your setup, the easier it will be for people to help you.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

welcome-byc.gif

I have a few questions that might make it easier for us to offer you some advice:

- is she an established member of the flock, and if so, where is she normally in the pecking order?
- how many hens have you got in your flock, and are they all picking on her, or just one or two of them?
- how long has she been broody, and is she sitting on fertile eggs?
- is it her first time brooding, or has she done it before? (if so, was it a successful brood?)
- do you want her to continue brooding or would you prefer to stop her?
- have you got a safe place (outhouse / shed / garage etc.) where you could set up a temporary area for your broody and her eventual chicks?

The more information you can give us about your setup, the easier it will be for people to help you.

As a strong girl she is usually pretty high in the pecking order we have 6 other hens besides her and one rooster all but about two chickens were being mean she has brooding for about 5 days and this is her first time we have people who want chicks as well

This is her isn't she cute she is nice enough to allow you to pet her and she is trying hard to hatch the eggs she only gets off the box to eat and drink and do her business and she is so gentle. She has a clutch of ten and they seem to be developing

Last edited:
We checked some eggs today (day ten) they seemed to be fertile hoping for the best

Last edited:
Big problem we looked under her and one of her eggs was broke and another had a giant dented crack but the dented crack didn't kill that baby can it still make it? Because it was bip bopping around healthy were going to make a better nest so she doesn't on anymore but I'm worried

Last edited:
We used clear nail polish to seal the crack hoping for the best. Also the broke egg was very old so we're thinking it was under bedding and the cracked one could have been the bully hens

Oh btw tomorrow I'm taking pictures of the cracked egg and her new set up to post

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom