Broody golden comet and first egg? What to do!

AmberRose23

Chirping
Feb 17, 2023
So. My golden comet Lola has laid her first egg! She made an odd noise coming out her coop and lo and behold in her nesting box was a little brown egg. We were eggstatic! There were are only two chicken in our flock right now besides her boyfriend a frizzle Cochin named Tony. We took the egg in to eat it. We go through an almost 2 eggs everyday that we buy to feed them and the babies because they love it. But then my husband said Lola was looking for her egg. So we put it back out there and she began to sit on it. She has been there ever since. Do you think she has gone broody? She seemed to get off of it to announce that yes she indeed laid and egg but when we picked it up it was cold. Will it not be viable? Should we take it? Tony also was out there making odd noises in front of the coop, not a crow but definitely some kind of announcement. Thanks in advance!!! He’s been growing all morning.

Very unlikely that a first egg pullet would go broody, and even more unlikely that a golden comet would go broody. Fry that egg and enjoy.
You are absolutely right. She was actually in there so she could lay another egg lol I found her and her the rooster eating cantaloupe with the 6 week old silver wyandottes! But the rooster was having a fit that she was in there and he was by himself and making a sound I had never heard before. Like a very loud squawk in between a crow. Do they make a noise when the hens lay an egg?

Back
Top Bottom