Broody hatched 3 of 4 eggs How long to give the last egg?

drdoct

Songster
Feb 7, 2022
Griffin, GA
So proud of our 6mth old broody momma. We had called her crazy girl because she had stopped going into the coop at night and slept high up in a tree. Then of course she turned incredibly broody a month after she started laying. So we gave her 4 EE eggs. She's been so dedicated and sometime in the night, 3 chicks have hatched.

She's very protective and has been this whole time. We didn't want to stress her and only tried to candle the eggs once to no avail. The shells were too thick and we couldn't get the light through them, but all should have been fertilized.

So here's the big question. How much longer do you think we should wait on the last egg? I'd rather not stress her out by going in and grabbing chicks or eggs so it's not like I can just see that last egg because she's on it. Am I too worried about stressing her out?

Wait 2 or 3 days, and then the remaining one should hatch,,, or it is a dud. I would then try to remove the egg,,, preferably in the darkness. Slip your hand under, and feel for the egg. then remove. Also if she gets off nest, and you see it,,,, then just grab egg then.
Since you gave her the 4 eggs at same time, all should have hatched within reasonable time of each other.
Reason to remove:: If it is a dead chick, or an egg that is a dud, it can/will eventually pop. I don't like the term explode. Then you do have a mess on your hands. Well in that nest anyways.

WSHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Update: It was a dud. We removed it and examined the egg. It was just an egg. Guess it was from one of the hens who doesn't get a lot of attention. Right after that... the momma ended up taking the chicks down into the run and is now teaching them and sleeping under the coop (it's all enclosed little TSC coop).

Back
Top Bottom