Broody hatched 4 chicks, can I get her to adopt the ones I hatched in the incubator?

bjw113

Songster
13 Years
May 18, 2010
Pikeville, TN
Hi everyone! Have a couple of broody hens that seemed to share the responsibility to get our eggs to the 21 day mark. Two hatched on Thursday, 2 more on Friday. Saturday the hen got off the remaining eggs and took care of her chicks, teaching them to eat and drink, but abandoned the remaining eggs. I wondered if they might be dud eggs, but thought after reading some threads to take the remaining eggs into the incubator. I had one hatch Sunday at 2:30 pm and the 2nd one overnight last night. Question I have is, can I try to get my broody hen to adopt these two babies? When? Where? How? What is the best way to do this with success? It is a Buff Orpington and she is really good with the babies, but this is her first hatch. I understood that I need to leave the chicks in the incubator until they are fully dry, somewhere between 24-48 hours. Would so appreciate any experienced chicken guru's to help. I've had chickens for about 10 years now, but never hatched them naturally.... Thanks for your input!

Forget things as rigid as 24 -48 hours. You don't want the chicks to get a chill. Damp chicks can chill if they are exposed to cool air or a breeze. Both of those should be quite dry by now. By the time it is dark they should be very dry. Even if one is damp and you can get it under a hen without chilling she'll keep it warm.

The way I'd try that would be to take both chicks to wherever the hens are sleeping after it is dark and put the two chicks under one. Then be down there at daybreak and see how it is going. I think the odds are very good they hens will take care of them.

Thanks... that's what I was thinking... i'll be up at 5 am so I can check then... I am hoping since the babies are only a few days old, this won't be a problem...

We had a successful adoption. I lost my 2nd chick that hatched in the incubator. It looked like an abdominal abnormality... but glad to have these little ones!

Attachments

• Baby Peeps and Mom 5.jpg
    Baby Peeps and Mom 5.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom