Broody hatched her eggs now what?

TSW99

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Tallahassee Fl
Thist is my very first broody hen and for some reason she wanted to go broody in December I live in florida so winter shouldn't be to harsh but I realise I probably should have not let her hatch chicks but its done already. They hatched this morning so what all do I need to do since im letting her raise them? And do I keep her in the coop till the babies get older? The hen is a japanese and she hatched two bantam cochins.

Well, you don't really need to do anything! If it gets pretty cold, maybe put a heat lamp over her and the babies, but other than that, she should be able to keep the both warm pretty easily. Aside from providing feed, water, and other obvious care, your job is basically to sit back and watch nature run its course. Momma will do the rest. I keep my broodies and babies away from the rest of the flock in a large dog crate, by the way.

Oh well that sounds easy enough, she has a whole coop to herself. when does a broody normally leave the babies? And when should I integrated them to the flock?
here she is:

Im sorry this is off subject but I'm a rookie and don't know we're to ask questions . I have five bielefelder hens they are the worst layers I have ever had has any one else experienced this ? The rest of my flock is isbars and creamlegbars they have been laying awesome right at five months it's been nine months and hardly anything from the bielefelder what is up ?

Last edited:
Im sorry this is off subject but I'm a rookie and don't know we're to ask questions . I have five bielefelder hens they are the worst layers I have ever had has any one else experienced this ? The rest of my flock is isbars and creamlegbars they have been laying awesome right at five months it's been nine months and hardly anything from the bielefelder what is up ?
Some breeds take longer to mature so just keep waiting. Also depending on where you live, the winter and shorter days can affect laying as well.

Oh well that sounds easy enough, she has a whole coop to herself. when does a broody normally leave the babies? And when should I integrated them to the flock?
here she is:
They're beautiful! It varies on when they leave. Basically, when mom is tired of it, she'll leave. Usually this happens around six weeks after the hatch, sometimes more, sometimes less. As far as integrating goes, the bigger the babies are the better. The youngest I integrate are usually around two months old. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Enjoy your new family!

I'm not familiar with the breed. Hopefully someone else who is experienced with them can give you more info. If I had to guess, it may be the time of year or the breed may just take longer to fully mature. Anywhere from 5-9 months (more or less) is when pullets will start laying. Hang in there!

Check this page for your bielefelders.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/727364/a-bielefelder-thread
Carson

here she is:

Oh, gorgeous!

I have no experience with broodies, so I'll leave it at what a beautiful picture!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom