Broody hen and broken eggs....

Rosaleen

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Danville, Vermont
Last night I went to 'tuck' the girls in....I close the window, do a head count, turn off the radio and put out the light. When I did the head count, one hen was missing. I found her out in the run sitting on the shelf of a large open wall unit which makes up a wall in the run (you can see pics on my page....the corner she was sitting is up against the wall over the ramp to the coop). Anyway, she was sitting on two broken eggs. Both yolks were in tact. She let me pick her up and I put her through the window into the coop where she immediately started eating. I guess I will wait and see if she returns to that spot. If she continues to be broody, I may try to place some chicks I have in the brooder with her (slowly and watch the other girls as well). I've had broody hens before but I don't ever remember them sitting on broken eggs. Anybody have any experiences on this? Any thoughts?

I have a ham-footed broody who constantly breaks eggs. She is often a mess as a result, and more than once she has walked off the nest with an intact egg glued into her chest and belly feathers by dried egg. I keep a second elderly broody because I don't think I can trust this clumsy bird not to break all her eggs before any hatch.

I hope yours doesn't turn out the same. Good luck.

my broody broke her eggs fightingwith her sister ( jelous and wanted to join in )
she stayed ont he broken eggs otwanting to move as she only have another 2/3 days to go and was deeply upset at the move and having to clean her up

happily though she was given three lovely babies and was very very happy raising them all
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom