Broody hen day 22

Sorry to hear you have one that is struggling but great that you have 4 strong healthy little miracles. Keeping fingers crossed for the poorly one. I know how heart breaking it is to see them go down hill and not be able to help. I've had to cull two chicks, one last year and the one that I cracked open too early just last week.... it's not an easy job.

Good luck

Barbara.

It is really sad :( I don't think it's going to make a recovery so I've been researching the best way to cull. Don't think I could do the scissors method.. How did you do yours if you don't mind me asking??

Scissors I'm afraid. It's quick and clean. You have to tough up a bit when you keep poultry and do what' s best for them despite how difficult it sometimes is. Good luck whatever you decide but if you do decide to cull, don't be tentative about it, take a deep breath and be firm.

Thinking of you at this difficult time.

Barbara

Scissors I'm afraid. It's quick and clean. You have to tough up a bit when you keep poultry and do what' s best for them despite how difficult it sometimes is. Good luck whatever you decide but if you do decide to cull, don't be tentative about it, take a deep breath and be firm.

Thinking of you at this difficult time.

Barbara

Ah the little chick had passed away before we had to do anything :( poor little thing. But we have four doing really well!
1f423.png
1f423.png

Having a chat with mum
1f423.png
1f414.png

Learning how to drink, so funny!!

I think one of ours has pasty butt reading up about it, will have to sort it tomorrow now! Have you dealt with it before? I'm guessing you have you sound like a pro when it comes to chicks! Do you think just warm water would be best?
And also do you put any vitamins/ACV in their water?? I have country living vital vits+ which is for stressed hens, doesn't mention anything about chicks on it though, or I have ACV which I can add. Or do you recommend anything else or just keeping it as fresh water? Sorry for all the questions, you're so kind giving me advice!

@olivigus how are yours doing as well?

Hi

Sorry to hear that last one didn't make it but the other 4 look great. Pasty butt is unusual with broody reared chicks but I have had it happen once. I used warm water and a cotton bud (Q-tip) each day for a few days until it resolved and emulsifying ointment or other greasy ointment after cleaning and drying to stop things getting gunked back up.
I'm a big fan of ACV and it goes in all my water stations on a daily basis(make sure they are plastic containers and not metal though) although because the main flock free ranges, they do have access to other water sources/muddy puddles etc which are not treated. I ferment some feed as well which I think helps for things like that and natural yoghurt mixed into their chick crumbs to make a mash occasionally helps....I like to routinely feed a wet mash to chicks though just with water as it reduces the amount of waste that there is with dry chick crumb and it ensures they get plenty of fluid with their food.

Good luck with keeping them healthy.

Barbara

@Laura53 So sorry to hear you lost one. We wound up with the three olive eggers--all healthy and cute as can be. Two of the marans eggs never even pipped, and one only made a small hole and had died in the shell. It was almost two days behind the three that had hatched so I think Audrey had stopped sitting on the unhatched ones consistently and focused on the ones she had so it got cold. I was sad about the one that didn't make it, but am very happy about the ones that did.

Audrey is being an awesome mum. There's one particular call she makes when she's scratched up something good that brings the chicks running to her--it is so fun to watch. And I gave her some greens and she tore off little pieces and dropped them on the ground for the chicks to try. They've already had lessons in proper dust bath technique and how to scratch. The cuteness factor is through the roof. It is so different than brooding them in a coop under a lamp and with no mother hen. I wondered about letting them out so soon, but mama was restless in the little coop, and she really keeps an eye on them. We've got a corner of the big run fenced off for them with a converted rabbit hutch mini-coop, and they all seem very happy there--running around and crawling under mom when they get cold and she settles. I figure we can expand their territory as they grow and eventually integrate them all into the flock.

My pics aren't great, but here's one of the chicks. And a funny one of Audrey making sure nobody messes with her babies.

@rebrascora I'll definitely try making some wet mash for them. Already doing a little ACV. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement!

@olivigus So glad your three are doing so well!! They really are so funny to watch, love your pics :) Audrey sounds like a brilliant mum - Mango has really taken to motherhood, it must be daunting for her after three years of being broody to finally have babies! But she's doing everything right so far, and I know the exact noise you're talking about with Audrey
1f602.png

Today I gave my four some yolk of a hard boiled egg (new baby gift from the rest of the flock haha!) and they wouldn't take it from me or out of their food bowl - but as soon as Mango started taking it out the bowl and putting it on the floor for them and making the noise they came running and loved it! So cute.

Your set up sounds really great! My chicks haven't braved the ladder yet to go into the run, Mango is desperate to go out but as soon as she does they cry for her and she comes running back bless. So when it's warm enough I've put them out in the sun with her and they all seem quite happy.

Good luck with them all, hope to see some more pics soon :)

@rebrascora we sorted the pasty butt with a little warm water and Vaseline, thanks so much for all the advice! They're all doing really great
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

@Laura53 We have just the opposite dilemma. The chicks all run right down the ramp after Audrey in the morning, but none of them have figured out how to walk back up!
So in the evening we have to scoop them up and put them back in the coop with mama.

Here's a really good pic my friend took of them. Audrey is being a model mom in this pic (as opposed to scratching a big hole and covering her babies with dirt--which she has also done!)

So glad yours are happy and healthy too!

Back
Top Bottom