broody hen hatched egg, but baby died. now what?

Nikki82

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 1, 2011
Ok, so as the title says, one of my hens went broody, so I gave her two fertilised eggs. One of the eggs mysteriously disappeared, but the other successfully hatched out yesterday. The little chicky only lasted a day though. But what I really want to know is, what will the hen most likely do now? Will she go back to laying? Or will she start wanting to sit on eggs again?
Hen is a Welsummer,hatched earlier this year, if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Hen will continue to be broody for a couple days at least. She will not be getting reinforcement from communications from chick so broodiness will wain. After broodiness ends aggressive feeding will resume so she can come back into lay. Typically coming back into lay takes about two to three weeks.

During the next day or so she may be willing to take on newly hatched chicks as her own and thus continue with normal broody cycle.

Thank you. I think I might let her go back to laying. My poor leghorn x has been very upset and lonely since her friend started acting 'weird'. Now that I actually have a hen that goes broody, I'll get another chance for the cycle in the future.

Back
Top Bottom