broody hen hatching chicks - does it know what it's doing?

firefowl

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
Temperate Australia
I put 6 fertile eggs (3x Olive Egg, 3x French Maran) that I bought under my broody hen 21 days ago. Two of them have hatched today and the hen has seemed to be abandon the other eggs to tend to the chicks. It's been a few hours now since I seen her off the eggs. It's been very hot today she almost didn't even need to incubate them. But now I'm wondering if I should take the rest of the eggs to the incubator? It's exactly 21 days to the hour now so I'd be expecting the other to hatch around about now. I thought it didn't know what it was doing when the chicks weren't drinking then I picked her up to get to the chicks and she spat out some water.

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1740.JPG
    IMG_1740.JPG
    626.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    628.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1742.JPG
    IMG_1742.JPG
    627.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    748.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    623.5 KB · Views: 7
Broody hens tend to leave the remaining eggs once they think all chicks will hatch. Check if they’re still viable. She’ll teach them everything but you can dip their beaks in to give the chicks a head start.

It sounds like they could be shipped eggs. Sometimes you just don’t get a good hatch for shipped eggs. Sometimes you don’t anyway but shipped eggs are notorious for that. Still congratulations on the two you did get. Since you mentioned today is 21 days I assume they all started at the same time, which is good.

After an egg internal pips but before the chick external pips the hen and chick start talking to each other. That way the hen should know another chick is on the way and does not abandon the nest too early. Not all broody hens are perfect about that but the odds are really good there are no more viable eggs if she has abandoned them. Still you can candle them if you wish or put them in the incubator for a couple of days. With living animals you don’t get guarantees, I’d do one or the other. But don’t get your hopes up too high.

I could not help but notice the green polka dot bowl with H20 in it. Have you ever heard that you can never go back again? Well this is true in spades for baby chicks because as soon as they escape the watery confines of the egg, dry off, and fluff up, water and the heat loss associated with getting wet will kill baby chicks as fast as a 12 Gauge scattergun.

It looks like the hen has been scratching in the nesting material looking for tidbits to feed her brood, if this is the case she may have already bonded with her chicks and the chicks with their mother in which case you may face a difficult time getting her to acknowledge any more chicks. Every hen is different in this respect and it can vary from clutch to clutch with the same hen.. .

I put 6 fertile eggs (3x Olive Egg, 3x French Maran) that I bought under my broody hen 21 days ago. Two of them have hatched today and the hen has seemed to be abandon the other eggs to tend to the chicks. It's been a few hours now since I seen her off the eggs. It's been very hot today she almost didn't even need to incubate them. But now I'm wondering if I should take the rest of the eggs to the incubator? It's exactly 21 days to the hour now so I'd be expecting the other to hatch around about now. I thought it didn't know what it was doing when the chicks weren't drinking then I picked her up to get to the chicks and she spat out some water.

View attachment 1232931

View attachment 1232927

View attachment 1232928

Any update on your hen and chicks? :)

Back
Top Bottom