Reinventme127

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
i have a hen that went broody and moved 3 times. i had an emergency surgery for bowel perforation so my elderly father tried to help while i was down. i have been hand feeding the hen water this past week. when i hold a bowl of water she will drink it. no eggs have hatched and they smell rotten. i pulled her off and she has no belly feathers. how do i best help her. i feel so bad. ... and also feel ignorant.

Have you candles the eggs to see if any are viable? How long has she sat?
There are only 3 eggs left and they have egg on them. there were more. i tossed one that felt empty. i don't have hardly any experience candling. one seemed all dark, one 80% dark and one 60% dark. i think the other hens were still laying in her nest until recently. 2 weeks ago i found a dead chick under her. but she wS on a nest full, maybe too full. i think some rolled out and some broke or exploded. it seems she has sat forever.

There are only 3 eggs left and they have egg on them. there were more. i tossed one that felt empty. i don't have hardly any experience candling. one seemed all dark, one 80% dark and one 60% dark. i think the other hens were still laying in her nest until recently. 2 weeks ago i found a dead chick under her. but she wS on a nest full, maybe too full. i think some rolled out and some broke or exploded. it seems she has sat forever.
Im sorry this happened.
I take it that you have a Rooster. So may I suggest you do a lot of reading about a Broody and candle an egg before this sadness happens again.
Sorry about your loss.

Back
Top Bottom