Broody hen help!

JosieMaeChickens

Chirping
Nov 21, 2022
I’m sure this question or a similar question has been asked many times but I am newish to broody hens. I have had two successful hatch eggs before sitting for the roughly 21 days. However the question I have now is I had a hen go broody today and I honestly don’t want to wait the 21 plus days for her the start laying again. We sell eggs and don’t want to do without her egg each day. Selfish I know. I don’t want to keep taking eggs from her each day either. So my thought is can I give her eggs that are getting ready to hatch? Like in the next 1-2 days? (I have currently eggs pipping in the incubator.) - if so opening the incubator presents another issue of shrink wrapping. Would that throw off her “clock?” I would hate for her to freak and reject/kill them? Or should I wait and give her the chicks once hatched? Or let her sit or a week or so, then give her day old chicks?

Any advice and opinions is greatly appreciated!

Regardless of what you choose to do, she won't start laying again until her chicks are weaned. If it's important that you get her eggs asap, I'd just break broody.

Being only 1-2 days broody she likely wouldn't accept them, but you could try. I had a hen accept chicks after sitting for just over a week, but I understand that's an anomaly.

Back
Top Bottom